Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finish for oak shop floor

Finish for oak shop floor

Hey All!

I just got a good deal on some unfinished oak flooring for the new shop. It's the narrow 2 1/4" random length T&G and i'll have about 1200 sq ft to finish.

But, do i need to finish it?

My first thought was just BLO so the glue won't stick to bad, but what about just leaving it bare?

Thoughts? Experience? Opinions?

TIA
    Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I just put down oak T&G, and am pondering the same. I was also thinking BLO just to seal it up some. Or bare. Or Waterlox. Or...

Looking forward to response also

I'm also concerned about how slick a film finish could become with a bit of sawdust on it. Something like Polyurethane (sp?) .....

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

Brian, do you remember the shop that Marty was building down in Georgia a few years back? He's hasn't been here at the Creek in years, but he used BLO on his oak flooring for the shop he built. Easily repairable, because it is going to get some dents, dings, and scratches. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Brian, do you remember the shop that Marty was building down in Georgia a few years back? He's hasn't been here at the Creek in years, but he used BLO on his oak flooring for the shop he built. Easily repairable, because it is going to get some dents, dings, and scratches. Jim.
    that and low cost is why I'm leaning to BLO.

I put in Hickory floors without any finish. Everyone that I spoke to that had wood floors with finish on them warned me about how slippery they get when saw dust gets on 'em.

I have opted for no finish. Sure, they stain with dirt and stuff, but...it's a shop! AND I don't slip.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I would agree with the caution if "finish" means sand then smooth, and ultimately pt on a top coat like polyurethane. I don't plan on sanding my oak floors, I'll leave them as they are when I installed them. I wouldn't think BLO would in that state would cause them to be overly slippery when dusty.

Thanks Guys!

I didn't plan on sanding them after they're installed mainly because 1200 sq ft (40x30 floor) is a LOT of sanding, even with a floor sander. Perhaps i'll leave it unfinished for a while and see how i like it.

Of course BLO would make it look great....

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    Thanks Guys!

I didn't plan on sanding them after they're installed mainly because 1200 sq ft (40x30 floor) is a LOT of sanding, even with a floor sander. Perhaps i'll leave it unfinished for a while and see how i like it.

Of course BLO would make it look great....

Brian
    I'm pretty sure I will be using BLO and I'll post results.

George, please do! Before and after shot would be cool!

I'll be picking up the flooring next week if the Permit Police give us the OK on the final inspection so i won't be installing for a couple weeks.

Brian

If your flooring has a bevel, you don't "need" to sand it, but if not, those little edges might drive you crazy. I rented a floor sander from HD (the 4 ROS kind). I used down to 80 grit. Worked great. Not fine enough for a finishing, but that wasn't my goal. A smooth surface was...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Three coats of wiped on tung oil on my hickory floor.

Nothing on my wood floor. Looks just fine and rustic. It is a shop after all...MK

I used poly on my hickory floor in my shop. it is fine, not really slippery

lou

Quote Originally Posted by George Bregar View Post
    I'm pretty sure I will be using BLO and I'll post results.
    That's going to be a smelly shop for a while!

But an oil finish does seem like it would be best for a shop since it won't scratch. And if--err when--you put a nice gouge in it just grab the ROS, clean up the edges, and wipe a little more on.