Thread: father and son turning time

father and son turning time

First a little background. I recently bought a used Jet 1442 from a guy that moved up to a large Powermatic machine.When I went with my son (15 yrs old) to pick up the machine the guy started to get a bit emotional,and explained that even though his son is grown that he gets to send time together turning every week and that it means so much to him that they get to spend time together.He said that he hoped that I would be able to have the same thing with my son.Well my son and I spent some of the afternoon in the shop today while he turned a piece of Maple Burl into a duck call.He was so proud and could not wait to send pic to all of his hunting buddies ( we do a lot of hunting) and hope that we can share the interest in turning together. The call is pretty simple but it is his first,and can't wait to make more for his buddies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow - beautiful wood! Nice form and finish! Your son should be proud of his accomplishment!

Hope you both are able to spent lots of quality shop time together! Looking forward to seeing more turnings real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

A reat story and a great project. Congrats to your son.
    They grow up all too quickly, cherish your time together as I know you will.

Tell your son he made a beauty. He should be proud. Spending time with your son priceless. Thanks for sharing.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great looking call. I hope that I can spend some time with my son in the shop as he gets older... talking and turning.

Watch out Dad, he's got the bug, he's got the youth, and before long he will be teaching the old man a thing or two on the lathe. Great job on a nice looking chuck of wood.
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

It just doesn't get better than that!! Great story, neat experience, and he did a great job on the call!!

It is wonderful to share hunting experiences with your son, and to now bring him to the world of woodworking is icing on the cake.

great story.

Jennifer, my 13 yo (oops I mean 14 next month), loves spending time out in my shop area. She likes chopping with chisels and turning.

However, she discovered boys ... or maybe its the boys that have discovered her... so she doesn't spend as much time with me anymore.

btw: she is also a member here.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Very nice duck call. I think that's something that my father in law would appreciate (he's a hunter...we're the cooks).

My kids are too young to actually work in the shop, but that doesn't stop them from sneaking up on me and watching me turn, as in right next to my hip. I'm looking forward to when they're both big enough to do things in the shop--if they're still interested then. If anything could be learned by the children of the members of this site; it's the knowledge of how much energy and satisfaction goes into making things themselves.

Very nice piece and a great background to it. I wasn't into much woodworking or turning when my son was young but we get some time in now and again. Tell you son he did a great job.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Charles, your son SHOULD be proud, I'm sure you are! Fine choice of wood and an equally fine job turning. Save your money, you'll need to be supplying your son with his own lathe soon! How old is your son? There is absolutely nothing better than quality time with sons and/or daughters.

Your son did a great job and should be very proud! You should be proud of him and the memories the both of you are creating together! Great job to the both of you.

John

I'd give my right arm, if one of my Sons wanted to learn to turn... but then it'd be hard to turn... without my right arm, that is...
    My Granddaughter came for a week last summer... that's the last time I've seen her...
    Good for you and your Son!! You'll never be sorry for the time you spend with him...
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

GREAT STUFF!!!! I look forward to plenty of stories like this.

And don't forget to send a picture and the story to the guy you bought the lathe from...you'll make his month.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns