Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool TS 55 or 75

Festool TS 55 or 75

Sorry if this has been discussed; I couldn't find it in the search forums.

For you owners, should I go with the TS 55 or 75? Most of what I'll be doing is standard casework and cutting down ply sheets. Yes the 55 will work for that, but should I go bigger just in case future projects may require it. It's hard to believe I'd need to cut over 1 15/16" with this saw.

The 55 works well for a panel saw -- cutting sheet-goods. In that same service, the 75 is a bit big and heavy. Where the 75 has an edge is straight-lining lumber that is more than 8/4 thick.

I recently bought the TS 55 used, and haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I'm glad I didn't get the TS 75. Even the TS 55 is pretty heavy, and from what I've heard the TS 75 is a good bit heavier. So unless you really need the extra power and cutting depth, I would stick to the TS 55, it seems like it would be a lot easier to use, and honestly I can't think of too many cases where I need to cut deeper than the TS 55 can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    The 55 works well for a panel saw -- cutting sheet-goods. In that same service, the 75 is a bit big and heavy. Where the 75 has an edge is straight-lining lumber that is more than 8/4 thick.
    Well, I have a slider......so I guess that means the 55 is probably the better choice for what I need it to do.........

Aaron,

I would recommend the TS 55 over the TS 75 for what you are doing. It's lighter, smaller, and has a finer tooth standard blade (48 t) designed for hardwood/veneers, etc.
    This has been a very popular topic, do a search here and on the Festool Owner's Group.

Bob
    bob m

I tried both and decided on the 55. I am glad that I did: there have been only two times that I had something that couldn't be handled in one pass with either the 55 or my CMS.

...and while you are at it buy the 55 from Bob. He is a great Festool dealer!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I bought a used 75, and kind of wish I had gotten the lighter saw.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I went with the TS55 and am very pleased. I recently used it to straightline some mahogany for a new entry door. Very impressive performance. This saw is the safest, most efficient way I have found to cut down large boards or sheet goods. I have also found that it is very effective for cutting angles on flat stock (if you use the track edge to connect the points, the saw gives you exactly what you need every time.) This came in very handy replacing exterior trim on my home.

These tools are very pricy, but there is some outstanding engineering evident in the features and build quality is excellent.

I've had a 55 for a few years and wish I'd bought the 75, but I do a lot of straightening hardwoods. If all you're using it for is plywood, go with the 55, it has plenty of power and is lighter.
    PI

I have the 75 and prefer it

first off - I rarely travel with tools - all my work is done in my shop.

the group makes a good point that the 75 is heaver but for local shop use that does not seem important to me. this is not like a skill saw where you use it free handed and in positions other than horizontal - it is a pure track saw - you slide it down the guide rail on a level surface. so the ONLY time the weight is a liability is when taking it on/off the track - to me a few extra pounds of pick up, turn, set on stand is not noticeable.

What i do like is the fact that the extra weight on the rail keeps it nailed to the panel; so unless it is a REALLY expensive cut I never use the rail clamps and as long as I pay attention to technique I have never had the track move on me. Also the power of the larger saw is something I often use - I have the finest blade they sell mounted to give me the cleanest cut possible on expensive sheet goods and I often have to slow my cut down when cutting 3/4 baltic ply or MDF when the saw starts to bog down.

knowing what I know now after using the saw for a year I would definitely get the 75 over the 55 - my 2 cents

I only use my 75 in the shop. It's a great saw. The only draw back is you need longer rails for cutting. I was glad I purchased the 75 when I had to install several closet doors last year. I stacked them up and cut them at the same time. Saved me time and got a perfect result. 55 is lighter in the hand and in the wallet. I don't regret buying the 75 and I only use it for cutting horizontally not vertically. You will be happy no matter which saw you purchase.

I have the older viersion ATF 55 and it is plenty for cutting up 3/4" veneered plywood. It's a pleasure to use and much safer than wrestling a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood across the table saw.

The 55 has a 48 tooth blade with max rotation of 5,000 rpm
    The 75 has a 36 tooth blade with max rotation of 3,550 rpm

Although I have not done the math (e.g. account for the larger diameter blade of the 75), I believe the 55 with more teeth and higher rpm will do better on plywood.

Billbo
    Smyrna, GA

Although I have not done the math (e.g. account for the larger diameter blade of the 75), I believe the 55 with more teeth and higher rpm will do better on plywood.

Billbo
    Smyrna, GA[/QUOTE]

Bill,

Correct, the 48t blade on the TS 55 saw is their "fine tooth blade" and the 36 tooth blade on the TS 75 is their "universal" blade. Each saw comes with the blade "more suited" for the intended task.

Bob
    bob m

AS is the general consensus here, I prefer the 55 over the larger 75.