Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to remove dried glue from paralell clamps

Best way to remove dried glue from paralell clamps

How do you guys remove dried (hardened) glue from paralell clamps?
    ("Don't get it on in the first place!" is not helpful now. )

For the steel bars I'm inclined to use a wire brush.
    For the clamping faces scrape off with a sharp edge?
    Any solvents dissolve titebond?

Billbo
    Smyrna, GA

Blog Entries
    Titebond can be softened and removed with a water-white vinegar solution. Heat the solution. The solution is also good for cleaning old paint brushes.

I use an old junk 3/4 inch chisel if I forget to wrap my pipe clamp pipes with saran wrap first.
    By Parellel clamps, I guess you mean them Bessy style things, I have 2, I used them yesterday for the first time. They are so heavy, bulky and awkward, they are for emergencies only, when I run out of regular clamps.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Lowell gave you a good idea, I have never tried that one but I will have to the next time I have to clean my clamps.

What I have done and it does work very well is to wax the bars really good with Johnson's Wax. I never buff it off, just put it on and now any glue that gets on the clamps comes right off.

After a lot if use the wax does come off a little but if glue sticks just a little scrapping will take it right off.

Just to change direction a little...one thing to avoid is using blue painters tape...that is don't use it and forget to take it off after your done using the clamp. Take my word on this one.

Turn on the CD player, get a beer (or scotch-gin-sour mash, etc.), sit in a comfortable chair, take out your old putty knife, scrape 'till ya feel like quittin', quit, start another day with the samt setup.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

For glue on the bars I just run the clamping jaw up and down the length of the bar forcefully a few times and the glue drips break off.

For the jaws, I find the glue knocks off with an old chisel or whatever is handy.

Love the wax idea though, will do that today.

The reason I don't wax mine is I don't want the wax to affect the finish. At least buff it off so you don't have globs of wax on the bars. To remove dried glue I use and old putty knife or chisel or run the stop up and down the bar. What ever is easiest and gets the job done. Heat does a really good job of softening the glue also.
    Last edited by Glen Butler; 01-31-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    Just to change direction a little...one thing to avoid is using blue painters tape...that is don't use it and forget to take it off after your done using the clamp. Take my word on this one.

I've had blue painter's tape on the bars of my pipe clamps for several weeks now.

What do I face?

Is it going to leave residue, when removed, or will it be impossible to remove?

Yikes.

Blog Entries
    I'm no help on how to get it off beyond what's already been suggested, But once they are clean spend some time and wipe the clamp faces with paste wax and buff it off. Make the glue just pop off then next time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Painters tape is a great idea but do you have problem with the stop sliding? It really depends on the brand. Some are more sticky they others. Intertape is really sticky. 3M and Ameritape can sit well beyond the recommended 14 days and be just fine. It would be wise to replace the tape on occasion.

I put a rag soaked in warm water in the clamp for a few minutes then just used a wire brush. worked great and fast.

The horse is out of the barn.

Lots of times I use wax paper if I think there is a chance of glue squeeze out or a drip problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post

I've had blue painter's tape on the bars of my pipe clamps for several weeks now.

What do I face?

Yikes.
    NBD - Slap min spirits on tape residue, let soak in fo a mininute, scrub off with steel wool - real or synthetic.

Like others, for r emoving dried glue from clamp face - wherever - I have a couple old beater chisels, but I also have an old beater card scraper - I also use that for squeeze-out during clamp-up - pull clamps after 45 min - hour, squeeze out is rubbery. Never take thetime to actually true it and put on a nice burr - just go at it with 400g - 600g w-or-dry to clean off the crud.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post

What do I face?

Yikes.
    My isuue was that the tape broke off in minichunks when I tried to remove it. I suppose a good soak in mineral spirits may have facilitated the process.