Thread: Drill press table

Drill press table

<full metal jacket> This is my drill press table. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My drill press table is my best friend. It is my life </full metal jacket>

This table is similar to many out there but instead of using T-track I routed grooves in two pieces of MDF and laminated them together to make T-slots. The outside track is for the fence and the inside track is for hold downs.

To attach it to the DP's metal table I routed a slot lengthwise to receive two T-bolts. This allows adjustment in the XY plane by loosening two knobs.

Original table:

Bottom piece of MDF with 5/8" tracks routed for the top T-tracks and a lengthwise track routed to attach to the original table.

Dropping a T-bolt into the track. The knob is attached below and clamps the two tables together (note this is before laminating the top to the table and is just for demonstration. I can still drop these bolts into the track after it is laminated through the rectangle used for replaceable inserts):

Here is one of the two attachment knobs (I had to use an MDF spacer that is not pictured to avoid interfering with the ribs of the casting):

After routing all the channels on the bottom piece of MDF I laminated a 1/2" piece to the top.

I also cut out a rectangle out of the top piece before gluing to allow for zero clearance inserts.

Finally I edge banded it with maple and put some BLO on it. I will probably finish later with a thin varnish.

Of course there is no reason to dovetail the railing but I have been practicing hand-cut dovetails and these are the first ones I have ever actually glued

I bandsaw'd some hold downs out of scraps of cherry:

I also made a very simple fence that is held on with T-bolts:

I have not used it much yet but it is a vast improvement over the original small metal table

High res pictures can be found here: http://photos.ganzhorn.org/album773?page=1

Thanks for looking!
    Salem
    Last edited by Salem Ganzhorn; 01-31-2010 at 9:58 AM.

Great looking DP Table, truly quality shop 'furniture' with the dovetails and hardwood hold downs.
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

I like the table and especially the Full Metal Jacket Reference.

Nicely done - great explanation and pictures !! I am in the middle of doing the same thing, only using metal T track. Yours looks much nicer

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Hess View Post
    Nicely done - great explanation and pictures !! I am in the middle of doing the same thing, only using metal T track. Yours looks much nicer
    But your's may last longer . I am hoping the 1/2" thick MDF will be ok under the compression of the T-bolt. I actually undersized the top dado's to be 1/64th over the width of the bolt to give it as much material as possible to grab onto. I have not needed to clamp anything too tightly yet but we will see!

Send the practice one to me, then build your second one which will not have all the mistakes.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    Nicely done and a great example of using shop fixtures to practice our skills.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Salem,

A DP table is on my list of things to do. I've bookmarked your for reference, thanks for sharing. The dovetails are a nice touch.

I didn't realize there was anything from Full Metal Jacket that you could quote in a family forum such as this.
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. - Thomas Jefferson

This is a little off topic, but what kind of camera did you use to take those pics?
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post
    This is a little off topic, but what kind of camera did you use to take those pics?
    It is a Canon 5D with a Tamron 28-75. But really you can get the same results with any DSLR.