Thread: What have I been cutting- lens film

What have I been cutting- lens film

Besides all the usual wood, plastic, granite, and cermark stuff I've always done, I narrowed it down to 2 new items.

I etched some dichroic glass. Small designs that were put into a kiln. Looked great when all done.

I've also been cutting an iron-on heat shrink film product for model airplane use called Monocote. I assumed it is polyester- can't find an MSDS sheet for it.

My lens has a film coating I can't clean off with regular lens cleaner. It's blotchy and I'm afraid to wipe it any harder. It almost lookes etched on. I'm thinking of soaking in acetone or vinagar for a while. My aircone was also coated with pure white ash, which washed off easily. That really puzzled me. Has anyone lasered any of these two items before?

Thanks,
    Tom

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    Doesn't seem likely to be the dichroic coating. That stuff is pretty darn thin, in the realm of 30 millionths of an inch. It's a bit surprising that it lasered off since it is metal. Were you doing a large amount of dichroic?
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

When in doubt and no MSDS, I will contact the manufacturer or refuse the job. That film is a lot like sign vinyl, so may well contain PVC. I have cut it for the local RC airplane club members, but on the plotter.

Laser lenses have a gold coating, which keeps the beam from burning a hole in them. Soaking in any solvent may take that off and ruin it. When I had to replace a lens it was because the gold coating had deteriorated, and I cleaned it only with the liquid provided by Epilog (lens was 4 years old).

I'd call your manufacturer for help, and also to order new optics in case they cannot be cleaned.

On the other hand, if you are still on warranty, better not mention that you were cutting an undocumented film in case it invalidates the terms of the warranty!
    Last edited by Joe Pelonio; 01-31-2010 at 9:45 PM.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Also, Epilog recommends that if you run out of lens cleaning solution, you can use Grain alcohol (Ethyl). It is readily available, and is clean and pure. I ran out of solution so I cleaned mine with some 100 proof Smirnoff and it worked just fine. I'm sure though that Epilog means the 190 proof stuff but the 100 got me by jussssssss fine.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Hmmm 100 proff vodka. Just happen to have some of that here.

I only did about 6 coin size pieces of dichroic. The coating etched off very easy at medium power.

Joe,way past warranty, and these jobs were my own ideas...no customer to turn down.

Using lens cleaning colution, how agressive with a swab could I get ?

It's working fine now, but from the look of it, I can only assume I'm down in power a few percent compared to an unblemished lens.

I think the swab (Q-Tips) did mine in over time. on the new ones I have used only the lens tissues made for optics and had no scratching. Maybe try a swap with a tissue wrapped around it?

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    Found this msds for film to cover model airplanes
    http://www.phenix.bnl.gov/WWW/publis...20Monokote.pdf
    says it is polyester.
    Last edited by Tom Bull; 02-01-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: more info
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

Thanks Tom !

Blog Entries
    I use normal Q-Tips on mine without issue, I just make sure to swap gently until any particulate matter is gone. The coating on a lens (while it may appear to be gold in color) is an anti-reflective coating, but it's not actual gold.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I use Q tips or medical swabs on a wooden stick if I can find them. The cleaner supplied with both my lasers was acetone formulated for lens cleaning. (I believe that means no H2O)

I put a drop or two on the lens and swirl it around then gently clean with swab and repeat if necessary.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bratton View Post
    Also, Epilog recommends that if you run out of lens cleaning solution, you can use Grain alcohol (Ethyl). It is readily available, and is clean and pure. I ran out of solution so I cleaned mine with some 100 proof Smirnoff and it worked just fine. I'm sure though that Epilog means the 190 proof stuff but the 100 got me by jussssssss fine.
    It may work fine, but there may be other things in it that can leave a
    residue on the lens. They were probably thinking of Everclear or similar,
    which is pretty cheap and not all that drinkable.
    (some may say the same is true of the Smirnoff )

I would trying swabbing a couple times, as if there is any particulates attached to the lens You want to make sure they are "loose" any wipe away easily. If you "scrub" to hard you may scratch the lens.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

We cut a lot of PETG, also a polyester. It breaks down into a white gas that condenses into a fine white powder on everything. That sounds like your problem. Our lens cleans with a swab and lens cleaner. Some of the stuff that gets baked on to the laser bed, we clean with acetone so you might use acetone as Mike suggests.

Don't use any kind of acid (vinegar) or aggressive chemical cleaner (mean green, scrubbing bubbles and so on).
    LaserPro Explorer II 30W