Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to move a bandsaw

Question Best way to move a bandsaw

I'm seeking advice from my fellow creekers who may have had a similar issue and how they solved it. The issue: a bandsaw (400#) will be dropped off by my garage but my shop is in the back of the house in the basement; we have a ranch with a walk-out basement. The workshop can be accessed from the outside. The issue: how to move the 400# bandsaw from the garage (front of the house) to the workshop. I appreciate any and all advice.

I have no strategy for getting it downstairs other than using lots of hands and trying to break it into whatever pieces you can. (Table, frame, motor)

Getting it to the back should be as simple at a $20 dollar furniture dolly and two people working together.
    Good luck.

Take it apart, carry the pieces to the final destinaton, put it together and adjust, then enjoy. I have helped friends carry large tools to the basement, my husband and I have unloaded my PM66 with no help, Dennis is handicapped.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Davor, as others have suggested remove the heavy parts.

I removed both wheels, the table, the doors, and the motor.

Then a quick trip with a 2 wheeled hand cart and the frame was in the basement.

It was easy...........Regards, Rod.

Friends and free beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Butler View Post
    Friends and free beer.
    What if you don't have either?

If I purchase beer will I have free friends?

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Butler View Post
    Friends and free beer.
    Trust me on this. Only serve the beer after the job is done!!

Ray
    Just trying to learn

Lots of good advice here! Thank you creekers! It would seem that disassembly is the way to go ... and the free beer afterwards!

when i moved my bandsaw I was lucky enough to have access to a dolly (2 wheeler) that was heavy duty and rated for alot more than my bandsaw weighed. I just strapped it to the dolly and moved it down a flight of stairs and into the basement. You are fortunate that at least you have a walk in basement. You should of seen me getting my 8 inch jointer into the house and down the stairs. I have a huge stack of brazilian walnut and figured that it very heavy and dense so I took a few long pieces and put them across the doorway and come alonged the jointer down the steps on a set of steel rollers. I was very happy when the job was done.

The “best way” would be to pay someone else to do it !

If you can’t afford that, rent a suitable 4-wheel cart to roll it around to the back of your house and into the workshop.

Have the truck driver load it onto the cart instead of the ground.

Based on your advice, fellow creekers, there is an action plan being formed in my mind. I'm really encouraged to read how some of you have accomplished this move successfully. It's time to get the bandsaw and get it in the shop.

Engine Hoist

13. I forked out some money for a heavy duty dolly. At the time, I cursed myself for buying it. Now I think it was one of my best buys. I have a walk out basement as well and constantly use it for ferrying equipment to and from the driveway.

My bandsaw was only 250lbs, but it was very easy to roll it down to the walkout with only a spot from my father-in-law.

A few years ago I bought a heavy duty appliance dolly. It has been a great investment for me, but you can rent them for less than $20.

My heaviest move with it was a 600 pound gun safe. I built a small ramp to get it up the one stair in the way, and moved it into place by myself.

While I would not recommend you move your saw yourself, with an extra hand, you can easily move it safely.

Mike

I bought a 2-wheeled hand truck at Harbor Freight for around $35. It was on sale and I had a 20% off coupon as well. Well worth the price.