Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Construction of the "hot-rodding-est Delta DC ... ever seen"

Construction of the "hot-rodding-est Delta DC ... ever seen"

Folks have asked about my custom rodded Delta 50-760 DC. My camera batteries died tonight so I'll have to get some updated pictures to show a couple of finishing touches to the DC, but here is a description of the individual parts:

Starting from the Oneida Super Dust Deputy and moving over to the Delta, the parts are: Nordfab 6" machine connector. Nordfab 6" clamp. Two 90 degree Nordfab elbows with clamps. Nordfab 6"/5" reducer with Nordfab 5" machine connector and clamps. Penn State 5" "inside/inside" (don't know what else to call it) connector that happens to slide inside the Nordfab 5" machine connector. Penn State 5" spiral pipe (I have a 5' pipe from which I cut this short, seven inch piece) into which the "inside/inside" fits. And the spiral pipe fits over the 5" intake of the Delta.

To be honest I'm not certain of how I cobbled together the intake of the Oneida. I've had this connected to my Delta for several years; it was cemented to a Jet separator lid (which I had opened to 5") sitting on a trash can. I think he 5"/5"/5" wye is from Penn State. Somehow I got that to fit with two 5" blast gates that look to be Nordfab. Again, I constructed the 5/5/5 set up years ago.

To assemble this hot rodded DC I used parts I had in my basement. If I was to do it from scratch, now, I'd use all Nordfab.

The whole thing sits on the plywood (from the crate in which my Powermatic 2700 came) which I have now bolted (I'll take a few new pictures to show the finished product) to the Delta's base. Rockler locking casters now adorn the plywood (Rockler's casters are taller than Delta's casters, but in this application they are perfect given the height of the plywood).

Finally, this evening I fashioned a brace to wedge under the 5/5/5 wye to keep the whole apparatus, with attached hoses (and another wye), from pulling down on the Oneida's intake.

Amazingly, I had ALL the stuff in my house. It took pretty much a full day to figure out and assemble this with what I had on hand.

I can tell you that the CFM I'm getting now is FAR BETTER than it was with the Delta bag filter. I attribute this to the Wynn filter, the smooth surfaces of the steel duct, and the relatively large radius of the curves in the elbows. Keeping flex hose out of the equation is key.

All of this fell together when I happened on the idea of inverting the Delta.

Awesome! Like the look, and it sounds like the enhancements you've made will give you an edge over the competition. Any plans for paint, or chrome?

But what about the beer?

Cameron,

Thanks for the additional detail, very helpful. The only thing I can't make out from the photographs is the brand of pale ale you were drinking while taking the pictures!

I assume since you had blast gates and DC piping laying around that you will be connecting this to a central system, as opposed to using flex-pipe to a tool or two at a time?
    -Dan D.

Ray's rule for precision:

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

Hmm, no mention of the Pale Ale bottle that helped you out with this project
    Seriously though, quite the DC system you've got there. Makes me want to straighten out my mess plastic flex hose in my basement system. Congrats.

I don't know about you guys but the first thing I noticed was the red,white and blue patriotic trim on the garage door ....oh and the DC was nice too !!
    Ever wonder what happens if you get scared 1/2 to death twice ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Frazee View Post
    I don't know about you guys but the first thing I noticed was the red,white and blue patriotic trim on the garage door ....oh and the DC was nice too !!
    Ding Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner!

I did the entire garage in the Red White and Blue. It's getting ratty now, and really needs to be touched up. Ironically, as of yesterday the garage door is gone. Replaced with a new super sweet Raynor Affina (thanks to the guys over at Garage Journal for the recommendation). I used to consider myself the Garage King. I have the MOAW (Mother of All Wringers). Pictures to follow.

The beer wasn't my favorite. Tastes a bit like a brown ale. Lately my favorite is Anchor Steam.

It is hard to distinguish one fitting from the next. I'll try some very close up shots. Maybe I'll try to figure out how to annotate pictures so I can draw an arrow or two.

The DC is hooked up to the chop saw and the shaper. I also have about a 15' length of flex hose that I hook up to do clean up. One reason why I like the Nordfab stuff so well.

My main system is in my basement. It's a Clear Vue hooked up to the table saw, planer, jointer, disc sander, and as of later today (I see some big boxes on my porch), my new (old) Powermatic 141 bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Reddy View Post
    The beer wasn't my favorite. Tastes a bit like a brown ale. Lately my favorite is Anchor Steam.
    good Lord, people still drink Anchor Steam? My friend, we may agree on many things but our taste in hops inspired beverages is a point we will be destined to argue about.

The 50-760 with original Jet lid separator:

The MOAW (Mother Of All Wringers):

Below is the intake of the Delta. From the bottom: Penn state spiral/inner-inner connector/Nordfab machine fitting.

Rockler casters:

This is a Penn State Wye press fit into Nordfab blastgates:

Plywood bolted to base of Delta:

New garage door!

Love my sink!

Not thrilled with using oddball 5/4/4 wye. I'll probably replace it with Nordfab. Also looks like I need another support.

Extremely clever, great execution.

THat's "savage".

That is quite a rig. And, if you have Phil Thien's complement....you done good, son.

Andrew

Nice!

How do you empty the container under the cyclone? Does it have some play in it so you can slide the can out?

Cory, when you unsnap the Nordfab, you disengage mating surfaces. So, even in a totally rigid system, individual pieces slide out without issue.

This system has some flex in it due, largely, to the existence of non-Nordfab parts. So it will pull right out. Just completed it, though, so it has only a tiny layer of dust in it.

Except for the cool factor why didn't you mount the fan on top of the cyclone? Lot less piping.

Can you give some details on that mitre saw dust hood?