Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first set of chisels........

first set of chisels........

I got a set of two-cherries chisels....my first set of decent chisels (last ones were from HF!)

1)does anyone have hints for removing the laquer on these?
    2)I'm pretty clueless about flattening and sharpening (other than it needs to be done) ..are the combination water stones from Rockler good enough? which grits should I buy?

and if anyone has any links to sharpening/flattening "how-to's" online that they found particularly useful, that would also be great. I found a few but I'm not sure if they are missing something I'd need to know.

thanks!

This may sound obvious, but lacquer thinner, or kerosene should work pretty good at removing the protective finish. As of for sharpening, you may want to invest in Leonard Lee's sharpening book: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...096,46107&ap=1

There are many ways to sharpen - you just have to find the method that works best for you. I started out with Scary Sharp, because the initial cost was low, but I ran through paper pretty quick, and got tired of that. You can spend a lot of money on stones, diamond plates, machines, etc. Read up before you use up your dough.
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    I know April is a way off and Chicago is a bit of travel, but LN will have an event in Chicago in April and one of the things their site says will be featured is sharpening demonstrations.

Test the coating, if it is lacquer, it should rewet with any of the lacquer thinners including nail polish remover (acetone).

Alcohol may remove some coatings.

I would work on getting sharpening technique before worrying about getting the backs perfect. Once you have the method going for you, the backs will be easier than if you start trying to do them without a little experience under your belt.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I used to sell Two Cherries. Is there a reason you want to remove the lacquer? It will come off the area you flatten on the back when you abrade it, and the same thing on the bevel side. The rest of the chisel will be protected from moisture by the coating. It is the toughest most durable coating that I've seen on a chisel, and unlike the greasy packing protectants, it doesn't come off on you or your work.

If you want it off anyway, nail polish remover or lacquer thinner will dissolve it almost instantly.
    Jeff Farris

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Farris View Post
    I used to sell Two Cherries. Is there a reason you want to remove the lacquer? It will come off the area you flatten on the back when you abrade it, and the same thing on the bevel side. The rest of the chisel will be protected from moisture by the coating. It is the toughest most durable coating that I've seen on a chisel, and unlike the greasy packing protectants, it doesn't come off on you or your work.

If you want it off anyway, nail polish remover or lacquer thinner will dissolve it almost instantly.
    well maybe I don't need to remove it...I was under the impression that if it was on when I tried to flatten the back, it would clog up the stone if thats wrong then great...one less thing to worry about doing

I'm sure you have read there are a gazillion ways to sharpen...you can get a 1000/8000 combination stone and an inexpensive honing guide to start you off. Since you have new chisels you can just use the primary bevel on them now and hone it using the combo waterstones or put a microbevel on them. Your choice.
    But first thing I would do is make sure the backs are flat using the waterstones. Once they are flat using the 1000 followed by the 8000 then you can concentrate on the bevel which if you use a guide and microbevel should take less than a minute to accomplish.
    If you need a coarser grit then get some sandpaper and adhere it to a piece of tile or plate glass...
    Lots of options

Jim

Lacquered chisel blades just bother me,and I have to get rid of it. If you don't,the lacquer will eventually come off in places. The metal will darken where the lacquer has worn away,and the lacquered areas will remain bright. Looks terrible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Dekeyser View Post
    I got a set of two-cherries chisels....my first set of decent chisels (last ones were from HF!)

1)does anyone have hints for removing the laquer on these?
    2)I'm pretty clueless about flattening and sharpening (other than it needs to be done) ..are the combination water stones from Rockler good enough? which grits should I buy?

and if anyone has any links to sharpening/flattening "how-to's" online that they found particularly useful, that would also be great. I found a few but I'm not sure if they are missing something I'd need to know.

thanks!
    Why get rid of it? Hone them and you'll get rid of it where it counts. What remains prevents rust.

Blog Entries
    I just sharpened up my chisels about 12 and a few plane irons about a week ago, took about a day. My current favorite method is the sandpaper method. I get good results with it. I picked up a granite 12x12 tile for about $2 and the paper and spray glue. I plan to stick to this method until I can afford a good selection of diamond bench stones. I have a small diamond stone and love it. but it is a significant investment when there are so many other tools I want/need as well.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Lacquered chisel blades just bother me,and I have to get rid of it. If you don't,the lacquer will eventually come off in places. The metal will darken where the lacquer has worn away,and the lacquered areas will remain bright. Looks terrible to me.
    George,

I would ordinarily agree with you completely. However, I don't know what Two Cherries does differently, but you will not see the discoloration with their chisels that you do with others.
    Jeff Farris

A 1000 and an 8000 waterstone, a selection of sandpaper, and a flat reference surface, whether it be glass or granite will get you where you need to be.

Flatten the chisel backs on the sandpaper on the glass. Flatten the stones on the sandpaper on the glass. Polish the backs on the stones. Flatten the stones on the sandpaper on the glass. Hone on the stones.

A honing guide is a good idea until you develop the technique for freehanding it. I recomend the Veritas, the Mark I will do.

Sharpening on sandpaper is cheap, unill you start doing it often.

Leonard Lee's book is awesome, you will understand sharpening on a whole new level.

I've been playing with sharpening quite a bit lately. You can see my experiences on my blog.

I haven't had a set of Two Cherries. I find my Pfiels just fine,and they don't have any lacquer. Drawback:Their UGLY handles,which I'm replacing!!

Lacquer on cutting blades simply isn't an appropriate place to have it. I had a set of Hirsch's at work. They also had the obnoxious lacquer. I had too many other things to do,and never got around to cleaning it off.

Darnell,
    Welcome to the Creek....interesting Blog!

Jim

Jim,

Thanks, and thanks!
    Darnell

George,
    I too have a set of Two Cherries chisels. They have that shiny plastic coat of "something" on them and it makes me crazy. I've tried denatured alcohol, acetone and lacquer thinner on them to no avail. I really want that stuff off the chisels. Should I just soak them in something overnight or longer? The stuff seems impervious. Rust on the chisels isn't a concern for me since my shop is climate controlled. Thanks for any help!
    Tom