Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it Osage Orange or Locust

Is it Osage Orange or Locust

I picked up a section of a log that was along the edge of a church parking lot and a residential area. The fresh cut end grain was yellowish in color and the bark stuck out in deep wide furrows. I but anchorseal on the ends and it turned a dark burgandy-reddish color after a couple of months. I turned a shallow bowl or platter out of it and just returned it the other day. I put BLO on it and this bright yellow platter is what I got.

I have no real idea what the wood is. So what is it? And will it stay this color? I liked the yellow color but I will also like it if it changes to the dark burgandy color when it had anchorseal on it.
    Dimensions are 8 1/2" by 1 1/8"

I found the other half of the log that I made the platter from. It is definately not ash. And I didn't see any other trees that had the long thorns like honey locust.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Maue; 02-02-2010 at 2:54 PM. Reason: Adding photos

Really nice platter. Nice grain, form and finish. IMHO I don't think it is osage orange. The OO that I have turned here doesn't have that big grain pattern.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

My guess would be Black Locust. Most of it that I have seen is greenish or more yellow. The Osage is orange, no doubt about it. Both are hard, and both will oxidize to an amber color when exposed to air and UV light.

robo hippy

That looks like either, more like Ash. Osage is yellow, and Locust is green, before the UV gets to it. Have you ever turned any Ash?

Pretty sure that it is not Osage, as Bernie said, the grain is all wrong. I did turn some Mulberry that was a similar color that changed to a rusty brown with exposure to UV, and it has a much wider grain. A picture of the bark would be helpful. All the osage we have around here, the trunks are never round, there is usually a crevice in them sort of like what happens with cedar trees.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Black Locust

I'm going to guess Honey Locust.

Jason

Agree it's not Osage.

Where are you? There are areas where both locusts live, but usually one is predominant.

Being near a parking lot leads me to believe thornless variety of honeylocust. It is commonly used in parking islands because of its pollution tolerance. No one with any sense would allow a wild honeylocust near a car. The grain is right for honeylocust too.

Black locust is not quite as dangerous to tires, but still not something you allow near cars.

Edit: Forgot to say, That's beautiful!
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Looks like ash of some type to me.

Looks exactly like some honey locust bowls I have turned.

if it looked like this its locust.
    That is vary nice by the way.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=130221
    Last edited by Eric Kosanovich; 02-02-2010 at 3:05 PM.

I agree with Jason and Scott. I believe it's Honey Locust. Looks just like a chunk of log that my Son brought me a couple of years ago, bark, wood, and platter. Ed Karch identified it for me with a microscope.
    Beautiful job on it, too, before I forget.
    It's not yellow enough to be Osage (Bois d'Arc) Orange, and not enough greenish/blackstreaked tint to it to be Black Locust. There's a possibility that it could be Ash, but with that trunk, I don't think so. The bark isn't right, can't put my finger on it.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

the looks like mullberry. wide grain,,, yellowish,, but log is brown. did it have a smell when you turned it? locust and osage both have distinct smells, and so does mullbery
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Could be mulberry.Also could be box elder.We have plenty of them in Northern NJ. After they've been cut the heartwood on some will appear reddish.

It isn't osage orange!!

Good luck,

Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin