Thread: Thin or Thinner Granite

Thin or Thinner Granite

I can go to the Borg home improvement stores and find all sorts of granite for about 30 bucks a box for 5 or six pieces. However, for stuff that doesn't warrant that thickness (like granite wall murals, pictures on granite etc.) because there will be no load on them, does anyone have a source for thinner granite and if so, if the granite is say 1/2 the thickness of the box store stuff...by any luck...is it half the price? Just wondering, I am working on doing a huge wall mural and I don't want the load on the wall if I don't need it.

The lasersketch granite, both types, (the stone they call marble is granite too) is usually 7mm or about 5/16"
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ross View Post
    if so, if the granite is say 1/2 the thickness of the box store stuff...by any luck...is it half the price? .
    More likely twice the price...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ross View Post
    I can go to the Borg home improvement stores and find all sorts of granite for about 30 bucks a box for 5 or six pieces. However, for stuff that doesn't warrant that thickness (like granite wall murals, pictures on granite etc.) because there will be no load on them, does anyone have a source for thinner granite and if so, if the granite is say 1/2 the thickness of the box store stuff...by any luck...is it half the price? Just wondering, I am working on doing a huge wall mural and I don't want the load on the wall if I don't need it.
    Granite and marble comes from the quarry in standard thicknesses. There are companies that offer thinner granite, but it isn't half the price. PM Jack Harper and he may be able to help you.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I found sources (in China of course...) for 7mm (~0.275" thick) supposed (remember this is China) absolute black granite with a fiberglass backing. No pricing, but they make the claim that the weight is about 20% of normal thickness granite.

I couldn't find a source stateside with a quick google search. Since we bring in stuff by the container load already from China, I am going to see if I can get some pricing on it.

I found sources (in China of course...) for 7mm (~0.275" thick) supposed (remember this is China) absolute black granite with a fiberglass backing. No pricing, but they make the claim that the weight is about 20% of normal thickness granite.
    I'd believe 20% less, but not 20% of. The stuff I get at Home Depot is 10mm.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I couldn't find a source stateside with a quick google search. Since we bring in stuff by the container load already from China, I am going to see if I can get some pricing on it.
    You might want to clarify what they consider "normal thickness". I work in the stone industry. Normal thickness to me is 2 cm or 3 cm, not tile thickness. 3 cm granite weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 lbs per sq ft.

I would also offer a word of caution that many granites that come in from China are dye impregnated.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

A 4' x 8' ThinStone (8mm) panel weighs 165lbs or 5.15lbs psf.
    Jack