Thread: Hardwood in Charleston, WV?

Hardwood in Charleston, WV?

I've been lurking here for a couple of months. Right around Thanksgiving I realized I had a good selection of tools, enough to get some basic/limited wood working projects done. Then, I saw the sales about the Milwaukee SCMS and the Ridgid 4511 table saw on sale at HD, and I nabbed those at my local HD.
    However, I'm dismayed by complete lack of hardwood retail outlets besides BORGs, when we're surrounded by forests! I'm hoping that someone else in the vicinity sees this and can give me some hints.
    I do know there's a Woodcraft up in Parkersburg, and I'll be paying them a visit at some point.
    Thanks in advance for help and I look forward to more interaction with creekers!

Woodworking club

Jonathan,

I don't mean to hijack your thread, however are you aware of the Valley Woodworkers of WV? Our club meets in Dunbar on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 6:30 pm in the old Mountain State Outfitters building across from the Dunbar Public Library. Our website is www.valleywoodworkers.org . We have several members in our club that sell hardwood.

Please feel free to check out the website. I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Andy Sheetz

Hey, it's a good hijack.
    Thanks! I did know about the club, and was already planning to come to the next meeting. I recognized your name from the website!

Jonathan,
    we own and operate a small custom shop in newton WV abot 35 miles north of you. You are finding out one of the sad facts of WV. It has been raped of it natural resources and none of those resources are available in the state. It's the ol' carpet bagger thing that still goes on today.

In charleson city limits your only options will likely be Evans lumber or quality woods but you will pay. A good heads up for rough KD hardwood is Roane hardwoods in Spencer. They are moving a lot of hardwood at affordable prices due to an injury to the owner. The selection is limited but it's an option.

Other than that your only option is to seek out other local mills that also dry and they are scarce. We own a mill and also have a kiln but coupled with the shop and our construction work we don't have time to run it.

I have some other sources locally for kd hardwoods and some othe things you may be interested in. You can PM me if you want.

Mark