Thread: Recent Work

Recent Work

I've turned a few things over the last little while and, although I believe some might like to have a look, I haven't the slightest idea how to post pictures. Ken Salisbury, before he passed away, posted a 'how to' and I'll give that a try now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom in Qualicum Beach

Good heavens, it worked! Here's another beetle kill pine nut bowl complete with nuts!
    Tom in Qualicum Beach

Nice work on everything Tom! Really like the pine nut bowl because of the color and also that you managed to include the pith without it cracking!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Tom, some nice work! What kind of wood is the bowl in pic 1 and 4? Very nice!

On the pics, looks like you got too close on a couple of them and the focus is out. If your camera has a macro setting, sometimes that helps.

I'm interested as John in #1 and #4. The pink reminded me of some plum I turned. Like the way the pith is centered between the darker outside in the nutbowl. Is that normal or decay? Like the nuts too. Makes the bowl seem more useful/friendly!

Tom,
    Glad you figured out how to post pictures. These are very nice-add me to the list as interested in what wood in the first picts.

Really nice bowls Tom. I am interested in what kind of wood 1 & 4 are and what finish you used. The nut bowl is really a nice piece with the pith in it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Real nice work Tom. Plus you had some wonderful looking wood too.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Nice bowls. Also curious about wood type and finish.

Pictures one and four are indeed plum, a crotch piece given to me by a friend on spec. Two and three are of a bowl turned from a beetle killed pine tree burl. The northern part of BC is literally covered with these dead trees. They are standing but are very dry, just waiting for a spark. You can see them in the following picture, near and to the horizon. The green trees in the foreground are fir and the beetle leaves it alone. The finish on the plum is wipe on gloss poly, the burl is spray on lacquer and the nut bowl is waxed. The blue tinge to the wood is characteristic of beetle kill.
    Last edited by Tom Storey; 02-03-2010 at 2:38 PM.
    Tom in Qualicum Beach

Pretty pieces all. It's ashame mother nature is on a rampage up there with the pine. The Ash withers are hitting hard here now and dead standing ash are in all the woods around me. Oh well, good turning stock...Bill..

I really like all of the bowls, but the burl is my favorite... The inclusions have a lot of deep color. Thanks for posting.