Thread: Brad nail length

Brad nail length

Hey folks,

Just received my Freeman 18g brad nailer and was wondering what everyone was using for brad nail lenght for woodworking )boxes, frames, desks)? I was thinking 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch. Is this a good size?

What is everyone on here using for sizes?

Thanks

2. My 18ga brad naile will use anything from 5/8 to 2-1/8" lengths.

Depending on the project and the application, I use any of the available lengths.

Because I do a lot of remodeling and home repair, I find that I use a lot of 1-5/8 and a lot of 2". But I also have on hand, and use when needed, a number of other sizes.

9/16" and 1" cover most of my uses.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

It's disappointing that there aren't any "variety packs" out there where you can get a few hundred of each size for a reasonable price. At $5-$20 per package, getting a wide selection is not cheap.

The size I find myself using the most is 1 1/2". That may be because my HF brad nailer/stapler doesn't always get the 2" brads all the way in. If I need anything an inch or shorter, I often go for the 1" staples.

I try to plan on at least 3/4 penetration into the holding piece. 1.5" is my most common, but I also use 7/8"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jeffery View Post
    It's disappointing that there aren't any "variety packs" out there where you can get a few hundred of each size for a reasonable price. At $5-$20 per package, getting a wide selection is not cheap.

The size I find myself using the most is 1 1/2". That may be because my HF brad nailer/stapler doesn't always get the 2" brads all the way in. If I need anything an inch or shorter, I often go for the 1" staples.
    Start here for a variety pack. Beware that they may be made in Taiwan now instead of the USA. Senco basically ruined their great narrow crown staples when they moved production to China a few months ago, and they're well on the way to doing the same thing with their brads.

I try to go no longer than about 3 times the thickness of the piece(s) I'm tacking down. And if I'm using them a la Norm and shooting them in to hold it while the glue dries then about double the thickness instead of triple.

My experience has been that the longer the brad, the greater the chance of it following grain direction and shooting out the side of the stationary piece
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Thanks for all the info. I didn't know Norm used the twice the lenght rule of thumb (good to know). Looks like I'll pick up a 1 1/4" and 1" pack to mess with.

Travis, if you picked up the "Norm uses the 2x length" from my post, be advised, that's not what I intended. I don't know what sizes Norm uses. I use the 2x R.O.T. for myself and certainly did not intend to "put words in Norm's mouth".
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I vote 1-1/4"