Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work bench thickness

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gonzalez View Post
    I know that most advise that thicker is better, and perhaps it is for weight purposes. I used the sagulator (http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm) and found that even with a 300 pound concentrated load that the deflection of my 1 3/4 thick bench would be less than .010 inch. This is also thick enough for bench dogs to grab. I think your 8/4 ash will be plenty thick. Using fewer, wider boards will probably get you to a usable bench with less work.

Richard
    The sagulator says my bench will sag 0.08" with a concentrated 500lb load.

I have a hard time ripping wide boards into strips. It seems that with all the narrow stock available, wide boards should be saved for somewhere their glory can be admired. If you decide to go that route, please save that lumber and buy narrow stock.

My benchtop is a single 17" wide piece of 8/4 Beech. After milling, it's 1 3/4" thick. It's glued to a front rail, a laminated board 6" x 3". It does not flex or give and is beautiful.

Wide planks have their risks, though, they're more prone to cupping and twisting. I used well seasoned lumber, strongbacks, and breadboard ends to try to control this, and so far have had no problems.

Chris' book is excellent. It will tell you what you need to do and why. I broke a couple of his rules- wide front rail, storage below- but I had a clear understanding of what limitations this would impose, and went ahead with my eyes open.
    Darnell