Thread: Cutting flexible dust collection hose?

Cutting flexible dust collection hose?

Hi,

I am just finishing up a dust collection system for my small basement shop. I have the infamous HF 2HP (questionable) collector with 5" HVAC main lines running to several of the bigger tools (table saw, planer) and then a few "shared" 5" HVAC lines. I plan on using blast gates at each tool.

I was going to have some short pieces of 4" hose to connect the tool to the HVAC ducts so I could move them around a little if needed. Rather than buy a bunch of 10' sections, I'd like to get a 20-50' roll of the stuff and cut it down. I'm assuming this stuff cuts well with a pair of scissors and a wire cutter for the spine?

Yes it does.

I would use a utility knife with a new blade, along with the wire cutters. Also, make a cut line with a marker or tape. That will help make a neat cut and not follow the spiral too much. Maybe a leather glove on the hand holding the hose.

John

I had to use my linesman cutters to cut the wire in mine. My regular diagonal cutters wouldn't do anything with the wire except get mad!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    I had to use my linesman cutters to cut the wire in mine. My regular diagonal cutters wouldn't do anything with the wire except get mad!! Jim.
    You need better diagonal cutters...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

The wire is probably hardened to keep it from bending. Jim O has the right idea by using linesman cutters, regular diagonal pliers aren't made for cutting hardened wire and can be damaged by doing so. Fencing pliers designed for cutting high tensile wire may even be better.
    Last edited by David G Baker; 02-04-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    David B

I have 2 different types of flexible hoses in the shop. I used a pair of scissors stolen from the house and cut around the thin plastic until I hit the hard plastic or thin metal and then I use a pair of tin snips. It's not that bad.
    Last edited by Elijah Fontenot; 02-04-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    You need better diagonal cutters...
    Snap On and Kleins. I think it is more the power in the hand operating them. I just get better leverage with my linesman plier/cutters. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

thanks for the feedback

Hi,

Thanks much for the feedback.

Wire cutters didnt do it for me. i use a bolt cutter.

Plasma torch here...don't ask about what that did to the plastic....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Side cutters and scissors here.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler