Thread: Panel End Grain Sanding - What's easy?

Panel End Grain Sanding - What's easy?

I have a bunch of these to do and was wondering if anyone had a trick to getting the end grain of the panels done easily without rounding anything over too much. The end grain can get fairly rough at times.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Sharp Low angle Block plane and shooting board set up
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

Are the panels cove?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eller View Post
    I have a bunch of these to do and was wondering if anyone had a trick to getting the end grain of the panels done easily without rounding anything over too much. The end grain can get fairly rough at times.
    If so, i wrapped some sand paper around a large dowel, about 1 1/4" diameter. Sanded cross grain initially until it got pretty smooth, switched to a finer paper then finished it with a 1/4 pad R.O. sander. Unlike flat grain, I doubt fine cross-grain scratches would be all that noticeable on end grain. I didn't notice any. It went better and quicker than I expected it to. This was red oak.

You can get a set of contour sanding blocks, made of rubber with both concave and convex surfaces. Something like this: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...Set-of-12.aspx

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

The raised panel part? I got automotive quality sanding blocks (Dura-blocks) and PSA paper. There's a teardrop one (cross-section) that works well for the raised panel part. They come rather long, but can be cut to suit.

The ends of the panels are covered, I just use a normal sanding block. No one will see it.

What bits are you using? I used a Whiteside, and it has very little sanding that needs to be done. If you have a lof of panels, that may save you a ton of time.

Just my $.02.

Good advice so far. But be sure to sand your panels before you assemble your doors. Much easier to detail the panels if they are not already in a frame!
    David DeCristoforo

For concave ( cove ?) profiles I got several sizes of PVC pipe in diffent lengths. I band sawed them lenghtwise. I then wrap sandpaper around it and slide the ends in the slit to hold it tight. Your grip will close the slit and hold the paper in place. Then sand your brains out.

I never make convex edges so I don't have a sloution there.... Ken
    Last edited by Ken Shoemaker; 02-05-2010 at 9:00 AM.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shoemaker View Post
    Then sand your brains out.
    When it comes to sanding, this happens pretty soon. That's why I did the post.

+1 for David.

+1 on the sanding before assembling.
    Prefinish panels as well to avoid "naked" areas during seasonal movements of the panel.

I've seen shaper accessories somewhere that are basically contour sanders for a spindle that can be used for stuff like this. They were expensive and I can't find them again, but if you took an old router bit, ground off the cutting edge, and glued on some grit and ran it slow you could do the same thing.