Thread: New Dust Deputy specifically designed for Festool Dust Extractor

New Dust Deputy specifically designed for Festool Dust Extractor

I have a Festool CT33 and the price of the bags got me thinking of adding a Dust Deputy. I started investigating different methods of attachment to the Festool and came across an interesting thread in the Festool Owners Group forum. Search for the thread title "Dust Deputy (plastic) on Systainer & Festool CTL Midi".

Take a look at post #26 posted on 1/18/10. Its from Oneida stating that they will soon be releasing a Dust Deputy specifically designed for the Festool. They basically created something that looks like a systainer instead of the 5-gal bucket. It looks pretty nice.

If this has been posted before on SMC, my apologies.
    Last edited by Rob Steffeck; 02-04-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Removed link to FOG forum.

2. Cool Dust Deputy

Rob.
    I you get a dd for you Festool It probably will pay for itself in filter bags not used. I have one hooked to a regular vacum and I have been using it almot exclusive with a ROS and I have not had to empty or clean the filter yet. I have been checking it knowing how bad the filter clogged without it and I am alway pleasently surprised.. I don't have any interest in Onidea but This is sure one of the best ideas they have had. you can see my thread about the dd and the sdd under two new deputies in town.

Harold

The cost of the Oneida Dust Deputy with a bucket is $99 and the introductory price of the Dust Deputy for the Festool is $229. That's quite a jump in cost. There are many posts showing how the Dust Deputy bucket can be attached to a Festool CT 22 or CT 33 for a lot less that the $130 difference in cost.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    The cost of the Oneida Dust Deputy with a bucket is $99 and the introductory price of the Dust Deputy for the Festool is $229. That's quite a jump in cost. There are many posts showing how the Dust Deputy bucket can be attached to a Festool CT 22 or CT 33 for a lot less that the $130 difference in cost.
    True, but 9-gal vs. 5-gal and a perfect fit out of the box may make it attractive to some people. You don't have to buy it.

Look at the price of the larger Systainers. Consider that against the cost of a 5-gal bucket, the price isn't too far out of line. Additionally, if we didn't know what the original Dust Deputy cost, this wouldn't be unreasonable at all considering the price of the CT attachments / accessories.

Anyway, I just thought some people may be interested. I had not heard about this before.

I’d just finished reading numerous owner reviews on the DD when I discovered this thread. While most reviewers were impressed with the DD’s ability to decrease the volume of material ending up in the vacuum’s filter; some reviewers commented on the poor fit and quality of the DD components (they found them to break during assembly and normal use).

Left with that impression, I started thinking about making one: I’ve got enough aluminum flashing, rivets and caulking lying around, but since I haven’t even laid eyes on one; it’s a moot point.

Let’s hope the DD Festool model lives up to the Festool standard for design and quality materials.

I have a CT33 and although many said the bags lasted long I fill them quickly sine I use the vac a lot with my EZ track saw system. I built a Thein baffle into a chlorine bucket. Only spent a few bucks on the fittings. It sits nicely on top of the vac and catches most of the dust:

I experimented with this Styrofoam baffle but have since replaced it with a permanent plywood one:

Hmmm, the cyclone only is $59 plus $74 for a Systainer 4... $133 for a better fit than a bucket. That's not too bad at all. I actually like the DIY solution in that thread (the one using the systainer) better than the new DD product.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Steffeck View Post
    True, but 9-gal vs. 5-gal and a perfect fit out of the box may make it attractive to some people. You don't have to buy it.

Look at the price of the larger Systainers. Consider that against the cost of a 5-gal bucket, the price isn't too far out of line. Additionally, if we didn't know what the original Dust Deputy cost, this wouldn't be unreasonable at all considering the price of the CT attachments / accessories.

Anyway, I just thought some people may be interested. I had not heard about this before.
    Rob, that's why I posted the cost breakdown. Some might want to know the cost of the product and the cost of alternatives. I never said that anyone had to buy it. It's true that CT attachments are pricy, but we don't have to buy them either. There are alternatives to many of them.

I have the metal version of the Dust Deputy hooked to my ShopVac and it works great and I plan to add one to my CT 22. In fact I have a DD on order from Rockler because they had a 20% off one item sale this week and featured the Dust Deputy. I saved another $20. After I get it all hooked up and have used it for a while with my CT 22 I'll report back. Hopefully there will be some reviews of the new Dust Deputy for the CT from you or someone else. If I'm convinced that it's better I could use the bucket DD that I just ordered somewhere else in my shop.

I continue to be amazed at all the new products that are coming out for woodworking considering how bad the economy is supposed to be.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sepucha View Post
    Hmmm, the cyclone only is $59 plus $74 for a Systainer 4... $133 for a better fit than a bucket. That's not too bad at all. I actually like the DIY solution in that thread (the one using the systainer) better than the new DD product.
    Dave, if you build one let us know how well it works. I definitely would be interested and I'm sure others would as well.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

Blog Entries
    Look at the price of the larger Systainers.
    Not only that, the container needs to be airtight in order for the cyclone to work (so a stock Systainer would not be ideal).

Dd

If mobility isn't an issue check out the DD hooked up to the mini drum. I have this hooked up to my CT22, works great. My shop is small so I can get by with it sitting in a corner. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202...etal-Drum.aspx

In order to keep the hoses off the ground, I've run a couple of closet tracks and made a carriage that has the hoses attached, that slides along the track using Top Mount Hardware for closet doors. http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/Gr...ack/showprod/1