Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contrast when engraving wood - Darker Letters

Contrast when engraving wood - Darker Letters

I am running some tests on pine similar to a job I have coming in. .75 X 5.5 in pine boards. the Letters are 120 pt, a little over an inch high. My issue is getting contrast, i.e. burnt brown coloration, in the letters. I have tried playing somewhat with the settings from the ULS materials BD, The settings of the example in the pic (taken with my Droid, sorry) are 63% power, 85% speed, 600 dpi and Density set to 6. It is not much different in appearance from the standard ULS of 50/100/500/5 other than I get less residue with the ULS setting (Wipes right off). I even tried moving the bed slightly closer and "re-running' the job.

What can I do to get the letters to look browner in the pine? No air assist.
    VLS 4.60 50 watt w/rotary, Corel X3/X4, Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 7, Windows XP SP3 upgraded from Windows Vista.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE !!"

Dave pine is a funny wood for engraving, it can work well but it doesn't brown that well, run it slow with high power and do more than one pass.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I'm not sure what kind of depth you're looking for but the pine I've worked with gets deep quick, even on one pass. Have you considered filling in the engraved area with some of the products you can get in laser bits to get you the darker look?

Frank and Eric;

Yea, and this pine, as well as that for the project, is cheap. I can do multiple passes on the future run however was woried about not getting residue off.

As to filling it in, would not mind is I can get the look right. I was thinking of two variations of your suggestion.

- Take a darker stain and do a "dry-wipe" type method to make the letters actually lighter looking to contrast.

- Doing the same as above but with a brush inside the letters.

On both methods, consisting of 26 letters, I am worried about staying in or outside the lines. In life the latter as proven something I am more adept at, not sure if it will translate.

My wife also suggested maybe applying painters tape, engraving through it the with the tape still in place applying stain to the letters.
    VLS 4.60 50 watt w/rotary, Corel X3/X4, Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 7, Windows XP SP3 upgraded from Windows Vista.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE !!"

I like the last idea, just be careful of using to much stain. It can soak into the grain quickly and you'll lose all definition to the letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Yanke View Post
    Frank and Eric;

- Doing the same as above but with a brush inside the letters.

On both methods, consisting of 26 letters, I am worried about staying in or outside the lines. In life the latter as proven something I am more adept at, not sure if it will translate.

My wife also suggested maybe applying painters tape, engraving through it the with the tape still in place applying stain to the letters.
    Be careful on staining inside of the pine unless its been sealed first other wise you will getting it bleeding through the grain
    Epilog Legend EXT 60w-Corel X4
    Skype me .

There's a lot more good than evil,
    and there's a lot more joy than pain.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley
    of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil:
    for thou art with me;
    thy rod and thy staff
    they comfort me."

Engrave, then run again, but slightly out of focus - lower the table, do not raise the table. This works 90% of the time.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

If you need to paint or stain the engraving, try "stencil paint" - it is nearly solid and so won't soak into the grain of the wood.
    You need a really stiff brush to do it : a toothbrush or even a stencil brush!

Pine is a devil. It is so inconsistent that it is almost unusable. I was doing engraved pine picture frames and the engraving on the top and bottom bars of the frame never came out the same.
    (Fortunately, my customer is now pushing glass frames which are easier for me to do and I get more money for each one.... nice).

Blog Entries
    Also consider slowing down and lowering the power... you want to "smolder" the sap in the wood, not vaporize it.

EDIT: Just noticed Tim's comment... that would work, too.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

darker letters

go from 600 dpi to 1200dpi. They will darker up with just one pass. works for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Honey and Coco
    Steve / Sandy Wallace
    Lasting Laser Impressions

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wallace View Post
    go from 600 dpi to 1200dpi. They will darker up with just one pass. works for me.
    On lighter woods (density, not color), this can often dig deeper without increasing the darkness, so be careful.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I usually do 2 passes on some woods like Maple, at reduced settings. It seems to help.

Have you thought about cutting veneer? Laser bits sells veneer sheets with adhesive backs.

Also I have a customer who brings in softer wood that has a sealant coat over it, I laser it a bit deeper than usual, then he sprays it with a black or brown spray paint, for fill. (light coats so it drys quickly before bleeding into the wood.) Then he resands the surface and reseals it . A lot of work but it works for him.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

To darken it you might also want to check out threads here on powder paint and commercial versions like lazerdarc. Raster, spinkle the powder into the engraving (stop here for resiny woods) and re-raster (lower power) to bake it in.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    To darken it you might also want to check out threads here on powder paint and commercial versions like lazerdarc. Raster, spinkle the powder into the engraving (stop here for resiny woods) and re-raster (lower power) to bake it in.
    For color filling wood, nothing works better - but that's just my biased opinion.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

All great suggestions, and I am not done experimenting. Unfortunately I did not see them till I walked away from the machine.

Attached are photos of what I did. Basically, I did the engraving. Wiping off the residue with mild soapy water like I do my carvings. I then brushed in chestnut Miniwax stain. Wiping as I went. Came back after it set up an did a wipe down with alcohol for the clean up. Since this was scrap for the test, wood was pretty beat up.

Thanks for all the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images