Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Snow & Ice Hollow Form - now with modified Finial

Beautiful piece Steve.I love your smooth flowing form and the color with the clear finial really give that winter time feel. I think it will be well received at the expo and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and a 1st place...Bill...

It made me cold just looking at it. I agree with others about the transition. This piece is stunning, and well named.

great art piece!

I too saw the transition as an issue, but I'm not sure if you realy nned to change it.Tis vry nice as is.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Beautiful piece, Steve. I'm sure that you'll be a shoo in.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Hmmmmm....

That's what ice looks like in Florida!

I've turned solid surface, but never thought about turning clear acrylic!

Very nice, Steve!

That is just beautiful! I would have never thought of using shoe polish. I'll have to give that a try. As for the finial, I like that one and cannot see where any change is warranted.
    Last edited by Bill Bulloch; 02-05-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Beautiful as is but can see the transition thing if you are thinking along the lines of the snow melting, running down and forming the icicle. Wouldn't look as striking but since icicles are not perfectly round either, can something like this be turned, then offset slightly, have sections slightly returned again, so no section is perfectly round. Just wondering outloud. I know you said you wanted to keep it simple. Good luck in the show!

That is a great piece Steve... you're just full of great ideas for the rest of us to be inspired by.

I think I like the idea of the lower part of the finial following the smooth curves of the HF better. But when upside down as an icicle, it's perfect.

And I like the name.

Beautiful art Steve. When I viewed it for the first time (I view photos before reading comments) I was reminded of how everything is soft yet crisp after a new snow. The white satin finish gives it that soft feel while the form and the finial give to the crisp feeling.

I do think a proper name is important. It sends the viewers eye and mind in the direction the artist wants to send them.

"After the new snow", "Snow and Ice" or "Winters Beauty" are a few names that come to mind.

Hey SMC, Steve also asked for some help naming this art.........speak up, what do you suggest. What does your mind's eye tell you would be a fitting name for such a beautiful work of art.
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

Steve;
    Great job, this is a wonderful piece. The upside down detail view makes the transition from HF to finial look abrupt but that transition looks natural to me in the normal orientation. Your name of "Snow & Ice" is very appropiate, go with it.

Very nice Steve. A definite winner in my eyes, simple yet elegant work of art. GOOD LUCK!!!

A pristine beauty! Seems like the icicle, pointing upwards, is seeking its Origin! Marvelous work. Congrats Steve. Definetely deserves a prominent place in any show.
    ----------------
    Mike

They say money does not grow on trees! I believe it takes a wood turner to reveal the hidden natural treasures in a tree.

Steve,

Beautiful piece. I really like the form on the snow and mostly on the icicle. Yes the curve should have followed through, but that is a minor pick. I wonder if the reason the finial base is getting so much attention is because of the hole that is bored through it. It gives us something to view through a window. It is almost as if we are commanded to look through the window, and the interior hole is probably something we don't want to see. In other words, it shouldn't be a focal point, but becomes one anyway, and forces us to conentrate on the base. The curved outside of the base creates a magnifing effect, and just makes it more obvioius. One of the compositional guidelines for artists is that the eye is always drawn to the area of greatest contrast. Depending on how the piece is lit, that hole could have a very dark area and very bright highlights: high contrast. Pinpoint lighting will make the problem worse, and pinpoint lights are what is usually used in museums and galleries. Your tent light for photographing it is just the opposite, and is helping to minimize the problem. If the minimized contrast is that strong in the picture, imagine how strong it will be in actual display.

Having said all that, I still think it is a great piece. I would proudly display it in my display case. I would never have thought to use shoe polish on light wood. Also, I'm just curious where do you get your acrylic?
    Last edited by Brian Brown; 02-05-2010 at 2:25 PM. Reason: can't type
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Icey!

Steve,

Another signature piece. I really like the way the colors work together on this one. It really does feel icey. I must agree with what has been said about the transition to the finial, just a bit angular.

Love the icicle idea. Have you considered a more complete icicle look, maybe loosing the sphere. When I viewed the upside down picture I thought the sphere portion detracted a bit from the more organic feel of the icicle portion. Just my two cents.

Nice piece, good luck.

I like this piece a lot for what it is... A very artistic piece. I wouldn't change a thing about it. You obviously have a very creative mind and certainly have the skills to bring your visions to life.