Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Snow & Ice Hollow Form - now with modified Finial

Talking Snow & Ice Hollow Form - now with modified Finial

Maple hollow form, 6 3/4" diameter x 8 1/2" to top of finial x 1/8" thick. Finish is multiple layers of Kiwi white Scuff Coat and several coats of Minwax water based satin spray poly. Finial consists of an acrylic base and bullet proof plexiglass for the finial - thanks to Nate Hawkes!

Snow & Ice.jpg

I turned this for an upcoming local juried Art Expo and am open to all critiques, opinions and comments!

Also, I knew the finial would have problems because I wanted it to represent ice or an icicle. I have plenty of icicles around here to check and found that they are not a continuous smooth curve but consist of a series of ever decreasing steps. Plus, how do you turn an icicle that will be displayed up-side-down?

So, keeping it as simple as possible (I like simple) - this is the design I came up with. Maybe you can see the icicle when viewed from the natural angle.

Icicle.jpg

Still open to suggestions as the finial has not been glued in place! Also open to suggestions for a proper 'artful' name!

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 02-05-2010 at 4:49 PM.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Just beautiful Steve. My compliments.

Snow and Ice

Absolutely Beautiful! I cast five votes in your favoe You are definitely in the show!!
    Peter

Steve,
    That is beautiful!
    If, IF, I would change anything, I would smooth out the transition curve from base to finial. Alternatively, make it an abrupt change. But this is a niggle.

Again, great concept and execution.

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Steve, this look and theme is a great compliment to the maple form. I like the white wash on the maple, and the acrylic/plexiglass finial really adds to the uniqueness of this piece. It has such great character overall, and as you have said many times, finials are such an expression of individual taste, many will differ in their opinions.

I can see Mike's thoughts on the transition, but if you continued the curve of the maple into the finial, the base of the finial would be too small IMO.

I guess one could undercut the finial on its base, and overlap it onto the maple in order to extend the curve, but I am just not sure how that would look.

We have discussed the step in the spire of the finial, and I think by showing the pic upside down, it really does work!

Just a very, very nice piece all around!

Well you've done it once again Steve. You certainly have the ability to make your gift of turning into quite the art form. I think of all your "colored" pieces I like this one the best. Not exactly sure why and not sure that would hold up if I saw all three in person. It's just so clean and elegant. Wonderful work and good luck at the show.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Beautiful piece Steve. I do agree with John and Mike about the transiton - perhaps a little smoother, but otherwise it is super!

An absolutely stunning piece Steve, and certainly worthy of being put in a show. Good Luck!

As someone new to turning, I am stunned, it is beautiful!

Another beauty

Steve, I have a bunch of clear acrylic and need to attempt this type of turning, but turning has been put on hold for a while with my other steel projects! I roughed out a rew pieces the other day just to get a fix!

Great job and good luck at the exhibit,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Great!

You keep raising the bar,they are better and better. Great piece,final is right on!

Steve, its a wonderful piece and I wish you all the best in the Art Expo. I do however agree that the finial is just a little 'off'. Perhaps the use of two different materials in the base and stem accentuates the sudden transition, so think about changing one or the other. BTW, I LIKE 'snow & ice' as a name.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Beautiful!

The finish makes it look so delicate. I like the finial as it is, myself.

Steve another beautiful piece and combination of materials and textures! BRAVO!

as i look outside, snow snow snow, very nice Steve