Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to get good hold downs

Where to get good hold downs

Where do you guys get the "whack a mole" hold downs for your benches. I made the mistake of buying the ones from Rockler and they lasted exactly one whack. Not only were they cast they were apparantly made from Taiwainium.

Bill

West of Boston East of worcester north of RI South of nashua
    tools for working wood - joel - holds downs work and are cheap
    next step would be if your looking for flare
    you could either check phil Koonts of Galena Blacksmith or Don weber

30-35 bucks for a pair over a TFWW
    boutique blacksmithy pairs will run upwards of 90 bucks but are worth the extra moula if you got it.

Also, how thick is your benchtop?
    Andy
    Keep Life Simple

I have a great pair that Harry Strasil made. I would see if he's making any more. If not TWW has some that people speak well of.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Goodman View Post
    I have a great pair that Harry Strasil made. .
    Me too. Favorite tools that I own!

Blog Entries
    Another one who is so happy with Harry's, that if he were going to make more, I would seriously consider buying another pair.

Not sure that they are needed, but when something is that good, I like to have extras.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blacksmith shop has no heat, so holdfasts are on hold LOL. There are 8 people on the list waiting on theirs currently.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    Blacksmith shop has no heat, so holdfasts are on hold LOL. There are 8 people on the list waiting on theirs currently.
    Hey, Harry... I didn't know you were making those for sell. I am in no rush (still haven't started my 'real' workbench!), but I wouldn't mind being added to the waiting list for when the sun heats up your shop. It reminds me of my Dad buying good CDs before he even got a CD player... but we have to take advantage when opportunity knocks!

(yeah, he ended up with a CD player... about 3 years after starting his CD collection!)

P.S. Apologies to the OP, I don't mean to highjack the thread.

I have the one from TFWW

I bought a pair about a month ago, and I can't get over how well they work. How can something so simple, be so useful and yet be so unappreciated by most of the woodwroking world. Of course you do need a solid bench with dog holes...

My Gramercy's came from TFWW. I'm a big boy, I hit hard, I have abused them (oh, the shame............) and they are still intact and still working correctly. Nicely made, absolutely zero problems in several years.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

You allready had all the best makers, the only one I don,t have are the Webber's. but with 6 hold fast right now I don't need more! Jr. are good, more spring to them than The Phil konz one and the stifest one are the Gramercy. Jr., are great for thiner stuff. the Phil Konz are my go to one but again just preference here!

Your on the list Augusto, I presume you want them for 3/4 holes, I have an order for a pair to fit the european benches with the 1 inch holes. Just don't make the mistake of polishing the shanks of mine as they are rough on purpose so they won't slip loose in the holes while in use.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    Your on the list Augusto, I presume you want them for 3/4 holes, I have an order for a pair to fit the european benches with the 1 inch holes. Just don't make the mistake of polishing the shanks of mine as they are rough on purpose so they won't slip loose in the holes while in use.
    Yes, 3/4 holes! Thanks!

(I'll send you a PM)

I noticed recently that TheBestThings is now carrying holdfasts made by the blacksmith shop in Williamsburg (they're fairly pricey). My Gramercy holdfasts work wonderfully and have held up for years now - I have no need for anything additional. But if I were in the market, I'd be tempted by the ones from TBT.
    Last edited by Mark Maleski; 02-05-2010 at 6:54 PM.
    Mark Maleski

I was at Don Weber's place last fall and he showed me how he makes them. He used old coil car springs. He says after he straightens the spring and forms the hold fast, he doesn't even bother to further heat treat them, as they are sufficient right off the anvil.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

I think Bob Glenn, have one of the Williamsburg black smith shop hold fast also sold by The Best Thing, and was reporting that the shank was not a common size... Maybe Bob can write back obout that!