Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to get good hold downs

Last edited by harry strasil; 02-06-2010 at 2:42 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by William M Johnson View Post
    Where do you guys get the "whack a mole" hold downs for your benches. I made the mistake of buying the ones from Rockler and they lasted exactly one whack. Not only were they cast they were apparantly made from Taiwainium.

Bill
    Mine are from Jake the russian (Galena Toolworks) in Alaska. Phil Koonts refers the work to Jake. I love mine and had them in a weeks time.

The Veritas is quite nice also. Spendy, but you don't have to keep a whacker handy to use it, and it's got a long reach.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

4. I'm the one ordering the 1" holdfasts from Jr. as my bench has the larger holes and there's no other workable alternatives out there, and from the reviews of his 3/4 versions you can't do better and would likely do worse (but Joel's are reportedly ok for 3/4" holes). Once the weather breaks in Nebraska (its been a cold one for Jr.) there's gonna be at least 8 happy campers.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    I think Bob Glenn, have one of the Williamsburg black smith shop hold fast also sold by The Best Thing, and was reporting that the shank was not a common size... Maybe Bob can write back obout that!
    Yes, David, I bought two hand forged hold fasts at Williamsburg. They told me they were made from 3/4 stock, however, despite comparing all they had in stock and selecting the smallest (they were visibly different) I am still going to have to grind on the shanks to get them to fit in my 3/4 inch holes. I suppose I could use them in one inch holes, but I don't want to enlarge all the holes in my benches. They were 58 bucks a piece, but the extra expense is warranted since I use them at eighteen century reenactments.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried making holdfasts out of wood?

And to be authentic Bob, you are going to have to file them to size. LOL
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Get Jorgensen hold down clamps from Peachtree Woodworking Supply. They are USA made, from a long-time reputable company, and won't shatter after one or two hammer hits.
    "Non illegitimis corborundum"

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Goodman View Post
    I have a great pair that Harry Strasil made. I would see if he's making any more. If not TWW has some that people speak well of.
    Me, too. One of my most used and well made tools.
    Paul

You can get some hold downs made by Jorgensen - they seem to be decent quality. Here's one source
    http://dilegnosupply.com/Clamping/jo...own_clamps.htm

I'm sure you can others as well.

You might also want to put a small bevel 1/16 to 1/8 say 22 degrees around the edge of your bench hole this would help prevent damaging the top of the bench.