Thread: wood grain

wood grain

Hi,
    Just rastered some really nice old growth (recycled) redwood and while definition and depth were great, the grain was still standing in the grooves! It was charred but not exactly easy to clear out.

Any suggestions (besides using a softer wood)?

-Dima

Was this a solid piece, or pieces glued together?

If it was glued the glue doesn't burn at the same rate as the wood an can cause "grooving".

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

This was a solid piece of wood. I'll try to take a picture tonight and post.

I have engraved lotsa redwood and the grain thing you describe is inherent to this species! Why, I don't know, but I have never been able to "flatten" it out. It is kind of funny though when you think about it, hard old oak engraves fine (except the grain loses the fine details), while soft redwood leaves high points on the grain beats me when I'm up.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    It is kind of funny though when you think about it, hard old oak engraves fine (except the grain loses the fine details), while soft redwood leaves high points on the grain beats me when I'm up.
    It's the difference in density between the winter/summer grain: in oak, it's all hard.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Ah the seasonal changes actually make a lot of sense - especially as the wood dries over time.

Since posting my camera's charger disappeared on me - will try to use a friend's over the weekend to get a good shot.

But!

I went to lowes and bought their common redwood. While the old growth, beautifully figured, tight grain stuff was a hassle and had the problems, this cheap stuff is AWESOME!

It took me half an hour and some sore arms to rummage through the pile of lumber but I found a nice, clear, relatively knot free piece of 2"x12" (actual 1.5x11.25) kiln dried redwood (their 'top choice' brand). It was a 12 ft board, that I had cut into two 4' and two 2' very clear pieces. $32 later, I have two potential plaques and two potential outdoor bench tops.

Also, they had the absolute black granite tiles on sale for $3.50 each (instead of $5) so picked up a few of those 'just in case'.