Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice: Next Plane Purchase LN 4 v. LN 4-1/2??

Advice: Next Plane Purchase LN 4 v. LN 4-1/2??

Sorry, LV and antique afficianados - you and I have no argument unless you choose to start one, and - with all due respect - I'd prefer you didn't. I will be buying a LN (unless someone has lost their mind and wants to sell me a Marcou or Holtey smoother at a ridiculous price ).

I'm not an over-the-top neander, but a regular user of my planes, with plans to do even more with them. I need to be able to do a better job with figured woods.

My next plane will be a LN 4 or a LN 4-1/2. I already have a number of planes, but the ones that bracket this decision are LN #3, LN LA smoother, and LN LA Jack.

Either way I go, I will get an extra frog so I have both 45* and 50*. Or, maybe an extra blade ground as appropriate.

My questions:
    (a) Given what I already have, which makes more sense to you die-hards - 4 or 4-1/2? I am leaning toward the 4-1/2 - heft and blade width.
    (b) Which makes more sense, extra frog or extra blade? Not sure which way to go. Yes, I could get 2 planes, but ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Buy both, set one up with the standard 45* angle and set up the other with the 50*. Kinda serious actually, buy one LN and then see if you can't get a rust bucket and revive it.
    The only real advantage to me is the width of the sole & blade so if you work on larger panels, boards or table tops etc etc etc the go with the 4 1/2.
    I've got a #4 and looooove it. It's my favorite to use but the LV LA Jack is a very close #2, both leave a marvelous finish when well tuned and sharp.

This is a thread that I started about a month ago. Even though the question is not exactly the same, there are some interesting comments.
    Tom

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=129901

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Winship View Post
    This is a thread that I started about a month ago. Even though the question is not exactly the same, there are some interesting comments.
    Tom

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=129901
    Tom -yeah, I'd read that as it was unfolding, and you're right - intersting observations. thanks for refreshing my memory.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    If you are really concerned about figured woods, you can get a 55 degree frog with the 4-1/2

James

I think it will be easier to get a #4 in the future than a #4-1/2. Lots of nice users out there. I would go for the 4-1/2.

I did a "Best Smooth Plane" thread a while back and both the LN #4 and the LN #4-1/2 made the list as well as 39 other choices.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Hi Kent

I would narrow the choices down to the #4 and a LA Jack.

I have the bronze LN #4 1/2, but do not use it that much, prefering a #4 size for the balance. I would also suggest that you get either the 45 degree or the 50 degree frog, but not both - it would be a waste of money as the difference between the two is insignificant. My choice would be the 50 degree frog as an all-rounder. If there is a 55 degree frog available (I think that there is only one for the wider blades), then get that and the 45 degree for general work. I would imagine that changing frogs is a real chore, and you will avoid it eventually. So get the angle that will be used more often.

A wider blade is not the advantage that many expect it to be - just makes for greater effort. The extra mass is a good idea, however, so I'd go for bronze over iron in the body.

The LA Jack is a sweet plane, and ever so versatile (just as you have read, I am sure). I have the LV, which is a larger plane, but I also have the Stanley #62, which is so similar to the LN. I use it regularly. Get two blades - hone one at 25 degrees (for endgrain on a shooting board) and another at 50 degrees (for smoothing really interlocked grain).

If you already have a #4, Id get a good blade for that, tune it up, and get the LN #62.

I do not recommend the #164 owing to its ideosyncratic blade adjustment system, which is a pain in the wotsit. A #3 size is better in a smaller hand or for occasional small work, otherwise it is less comfortable to use.

Regards from Perth

Derek

+1 for the 4 1/2. If you didn't have a 3 I might say get a 4. But since you don't have a regular 5, then the 4 1/2 is a good choice in my book.

Blog Entries
    The #3 and #4 are so similar that my suggestion would be to get the #4-1/2.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Get the 4 1/2. It is a superb plane.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think you have what you need. With the LA smoother, you could simply buy a new blade grind it at around 50*/55*, put a micro bevel on it and go to town on your difficult wood. But if you are buying anyway, go with the 4 1/2, 55*frog and bronze body! Then you should have a great plane with a lot of mass and that wont rust!

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong but I think you have what you need. With the LA smoother, you could simply buy a new blade grind it at around 50*/55*, put a micro bevel on it and go to town on your difficult wood. But if you are buying anyway, go with the 4 1/2, 55*frog and bronze body! Then you should have a great plane with a lot of mass and that wont rust!
    Hi David

You are lifting the lid to Pandora's Box. Let's discuss planes for high cutting angles.

I use high cutting angles in many of my planes - Australian hardwoods tend to be both very hard and have interlocked (reversing) grain, a recipe for major tearout with common angle planes. It is not by chance that Terry Gordon began building his HNT Gordon planes with 60 degree beds.

It is a common complaint from many that a high cutting angle on a BD plane is hard work. It can be ... it depends on four factors.

Four factors that make pushing a BD plane hard work:

1. A wide blade.
    2. A high centre of gravity.
    3. A light plane.
    4. A sticky sole.

So the ideal BD plane for a high cutting angle will have ..

1. A moderately wide blade (2").
    2. A lower centre of gravity (razee or low body, such as the HNT Gordon range).
    3. More mass proportional to the body length (so a short plane does not have to be the heaviest around, just heavier e.g. Brese Small Smoother).
    4. A slick sole (either wood or waxed metal).

BU planes (in high cutting angle mode) offer ...

1. low centre of gravity.
    2. Most have 2" or 2 1/4" wide blades (versus the 2 3/8" wide of a #4 1/2).

From experience I can state quite categorically that a low centre of gravity BU plane with a 60 degree cutting angle is far, far less effort to push than a high centre of gravity BD plane with the same cutting angle.

Conclusions? BU planes are exceptional in the areas of low- and high cutting angles. Depending on your sharpening method, BD planes may be preferred for the middle ground. (Those who freehand blades on a hollow grind will prefer a BD plane, while those who use a honing guide will not necessarily have a preference - they can go either way).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The #3 and #4 are so similar that my suggestion would be to get the #4-1/2.

jim
    Yeah, Jim - that was what I was thinking, but I hadn't started a food-fight in a while so I thought I'd ask The Creek. That bronze #3 is a wonderful tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    +1 for the 4 1/2. If you didn't have a 3 I might say get a 4. But since you don't have a regular 5, then the 4 1/2 is a good choice in my book.
    Shawn - same reply for you as Jim K - that was my thinking also. Every so often I think I don't need the LA #5 - least used of the gang - but the LA jack is a lot longer, and the old adage "never sell land" seems appropriate to change to "never sell LN planes".

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Kent

.......get either the 45 degree or the 50 degree frog, but not both - it would be a waste of money as the difference between the two is insignificant. My choice would be the 50 degree frog as an all-rounder. If there is a 55 degree frog available (I think that there is only one for the wider blades), then get that and the 45 degree for general work...........
    Derek - all 3 available for 4-1/2. Good advice - thanks for the time.