Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small bedside table, cherry and ash

Isn't the grain orientation of the top going to cause some movement problems, given that the two shelves have grain going the other way?

Seeing as how nobody else has mentioned this, I assume I'm missing something, but...

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I too am in the school of thought that you will have problems with that top due to the grain orientation. After a few seasonal changes in humidity I think that it will crack on you. There needs to be a way for the sides and top to move independently as they most certainly will expand and contract across the grain.

Do you think that on a piece so small that this will be a problem? It's only 12" wide by 12" deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Frederiksen View Post
    Do you think that on a piece so small that this will be a problem? It's only 12" wide by 12" deep.
    I think it may but then again.. you could get lucky and it may not depending. It's certainly something you should give some future consideration about but.. what's done is done at this point. I wouldn't lose any sleep as you don't have the time or materials invested as you would with say a break-front secretary.

So.. just enjoy and if it does.. you go back to the drawing board and do another as I see it. It's a long way from the sky is falling and a stepping stone to even a more solid future design if necessary.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Very nice looking. Will the top and sides be able to expand and contract? It looks like to me that the domino's are holding the top on in a cross grain situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    Isn't the grain orientation of the top going to cause some movement problems, given that the two shelves have grain going the other way?

Seeing as how nobody else has mentioned this, I assume I'm missing something, but...

Dan
    I thought of that too, but I'm thinking that its such a small piece that it might not matter. Also, if it was built this time of year it should be at its smallest size. If it was to expand it would either bow the top or split the back??

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Millis View Post
    Also, if it was built this time of year it should be at its smallest size.
    I did just build it, however I live in the San Francisco Bay area, and the winters here are more humid than the summers I believe, at least it rains a lot here in the winter and not at all in the summer. So I believe we have the reverse situation here than you do in NY.