Thread: pneumatic drum head for thickness sander?

pneumatic drum head for thickness sander?

I want to do brushed aluminum sheets in a small production environment. We are unable to get the stock pre-brushed, so we are looking at alternatives. We tried running our work through a thickness sander, but since the material is not perfectly flat, the brushing is not uniform.

One option is to see if we can use a thickness sander (even the small Jet 16-32 will work), but with a pneumatic head. Does anything like this exist?

thanks

How about a bunch of the brush sanders on a shaft. ?
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

A stroke sander works good. Also if you use a belt sander use a scotch brite pad. I did sheet metal fab for years and this is what we would do.

Thanks guys - good ideas.

Rick, I am a bit confused about how you would use scotchbrite with the belt sander? As a manual process after you sand the aluminum?

How about a scotch brite pad used under a random orbital hand sander?

Brian
    Taxachusetts

Why reinvent the wheel???? You should be looking a metalworking sites, not woodworking!
    The drum sander with the pneumatic head is a bad idea in my opinion. I have done a lot of brush sanding of metals with various sanders.
    http://www.csunitec.com/sanding_poli...ing_finishing/
    This tool is one of the standard machines for brush finishing metals.
    They do have floating bed widebelt sanders.
    Stroke sanders are great and affordable machines for doing this process. We have done lots of stainless, steel, brass and aluminum on this machine. There is a special roller platen we made to better copy the short stroke brushed finish on stainless steel.
    The nylox bristles do a nice job on wood and many other materials. This is a viable option http://www.supermaxtools.com/product...s-24-36-49.php