Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seriously considering a Kapex but...

I have a DeWalt horizontal-handle, and I can't imagine using a vertical handle. The first time I saw a MS in a store with a vertical handle, and I grabbed it to try, my wrist gave me a little twinge. It's just plain bad ergonomics. For horizontal handled saws, simply grab the handle with your middle finger in line with the blade and visualize pulling down with that finger around the circumference of the blade at a moderate rate. An over-aggressive feed rate will cause deflection no matter the handle. I also use mine with either hand at times, and the trigger is two fingers wide, so when I'm using my left hand on the handle, I'm actually squeezing the trigger with more of my left ring finger than my pinky, and it's not a big deal at all.
    Last edited by Jason Roehl; 02-08-2010 at 4:56 PM.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I have a KAPEX and I'm left-handed.

I operate the saw with my right hand (most of the time) because it just feels natural.

I actually prefer the "pistol grip" to the horizontal style I had on my old DeWalt. I generally have my index finger over the top of the handle and operate the trigger with my middle finger. Sorta like I do with my cordless drills.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
    David,
    It is and I am (both lefty and stupid). But, I'd wager that the majority of people who use a miter saw a lot use it lefty and righty depending on the cut, material, jointed edge, etc.

The F-tool seems mega overpriced, and I have a few F-tools. But, I do wish I could put my Dewalt up against a wall

-Brian
    Last edited by Jason White; 02-08-2010 at 5:03 PM.

I own a decent amount of Festool stuff but this one (Kapex) is a bit hard to swallow. I have owned only Bosch CSMS and they have worked well for me both in shop and field use. I currently have the newer 10" dual bevel at it's handle can be positioned anyway you want...I prefer the pistol grip position.

The only item to me at least that seems interesting with the Festool is the angle finder thingy that transfers to the saw. I own a Bosch angle/miter guage that I use with crown installs and it works well to get the angles based on spring of crown and wall/ceiling conditions. This finder will work with any saw.

I had a dewalt liked it, one I got the pistol grip on my kapex seemed odd but after a week or so I don't even notice it. You adjust.

That being said it is the best miter saw I used and dust collection is great but it doesn't get everything. Not sure it is worth the price but if you use a miter saw alot then it is worth the price.
    -=Jason=-