Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever have to shrink an existing kitchen cabinet?

Anyone ever have to shrink an existing kitchen cabinet?

My friend at work asked if I could somehow shrink a cabinet of his. It's the cabinet that goes above a refrigerator:

It's 15" high now, but he needs it 12" high.

Any ideas on how I might do this easily? The case looks like it should come apart fairly easily. It looks like it's held together with mostly knock down hardware and staples.

The doors are what concerns me. He said he doesn't mind if I just take a section out of the middle, and glue them back together. I may have to do that.

Just looking for some ideas . . . or tips.

Thanks,

-Brian

Ain't gonna work well, and it'll make an enemy out of your friend.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I'm inclined to agree with Bill... and I have no hesitation is saying that if you deal with the doors in the manner you describe they are going to look like crap.

You might be able to rip a strip off the top of the carcass and then glue it back together instead of using the knockdown hardware (which there won't be any room for) and then take a little off the top/bottom of each door to get you to 12", then rout an edge profile on the doors to match the existing profile.

Seems like a lot of work for a less than optimal outcome. I'd build a new cabinet and try to salvage the doors given the moulding profiles.

BTW, the one advantage that you have here is that it's above a refrigerator, which means it won't be a focal point and is the doors look a little odd because of the proportions, well most people won't notice.

When it comes out badly, you'll have to do it again, and for free 'cause he's your friend. Not saying you'll do a bad job, but it won't be quite like either of you would imagine. The doors will be weaker too.

I have done a lot of those over the years. Cutting down the cabinet is not that bad of a job. As you said, the doors will be tough toughest part but it can be done. A lot depends on how well the door is put together & if you can reshape the panel after cutting it down. It takes a lot of hand work.

Sure you can shrink it. Go to the store and buy another one that is 12" tall.

"Iffy" at best. Problem compounded by the bolection moldings on the doors. Cutting the box down to a 12" height will be fairly easy. The doors, as many have already stated are another thing entirely. It looks like the cabinet is somewhere around 1.5" taller than the doors. So if you cut down the box, the doors will be 1.5" (+/-) taller than the modified box. At that point, you could trim 3/4 of an inch off the top and bottom of the doors and rehang them so that they will overlay the entire face frame. How that will look is a question but it might be the best option outside of remaking the doors. You would have to re-detail and refinish the edges of the doors. Any way you go here, there is the risk that your friend will not be completely happy with the result. I think Leo has the best answer... buy another cabinet.
    David DeCristoforo

Cut down the case and buy new doors

I have had to take up to 1/2" off before but 3" - no way. He is better off buying a new cabinet. Another alternative is to raise all the upper cabinets by 3" to match the required height but that may be even less attractive.
    Steve

Brian,
    Sometimes in life you have to say no. It can be done as has been written in this thread but if your time and labor is worth anything advise your friend that purchasing a new cabinet is by far the cheapest and easiest way to go. If the cabinet was a very expensive unit it may be cheaper to cut it but the cabinet looks like it may be a Borg off the shelf unit.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by tyler mckee View Post
    Cut down the case and buy new doors
    I think I'm liking this suggestion so far.

The case came apart very easily. As did the face frame. You know, sometimes there is an advantage to cheap construction. The face frame was held together with dowels and not much glue.

You are correct, that it's a BORG special, and it's only a few years old, so finding doors should be easy.

I do need to relocate some knock down hardware and re-do some dados to get the case resized, but that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-Brian

I agree with Leo. Buy one that fits. Less work, better outcome. If your friend is strapped for cash, buy the old one from him and hang it in the shop.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

How tall are the actual doors? You could possibly just mount them on a frameless cabinet box. With no face frame in place, the cabinet would be considerably shorter.

But it wouldn't match up with others in the set, if one exists.

Couldn't you just put it in the dryer?

are the doors a regular stick and cope with an applied molding around the panel?

I think you could apply heat to soften the glue and disassemple the door panel
    cut panel smaller slide coped rail down trim horns

not saying is easy but I have taken full size doors and shrinked them to fit in new smaller door jambs

just take your time
    also look for fasters holding it together

the worst that can happen is he need to buy a new door or cupboard

nothing ventured nothing gained