Thread: New Plane (well, it ain't new at all)

New Plane (well, it ain't new at all)

A guy at work gave me a plane today that he said belonged to his great-grandfather. It' pretty rough and rusty and the top of the rear tote is broken. Worth fixing up or just put it on a shelf?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fix it up, then put it on the shelf.

It's called a transitional plane.

From what I hear they don't work very well, but they look cool.

Blog Entries
    I am against putting it on the shelf. I have one with a repaired tote that is uncomfortable and have been meaning to fix it up. Well, I did true the bottom and it was a pleasure to use. It was set on a shelf until I could find time to fix the tote. That is where it has been ever since.

Too many other planes to easily pick up and put to use.

The feel of wood on wood is very different than metal on wood.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by truitt sosebee View Post
    A guy at work gave me a plane today that he said belonged to his great-grandfather. It' pretty rough and rusty and the top of the rear tote is broken. Worth fixing up or just put it on a shelf?
    I have a Stanley No. 31 transitional jointer and it works just fine. A soak in Evaporust or citric acid solution will take care of the rust. The rear tote will be ok as-is as long as it can be tightened down well enough. A tote with a horn is better, but not essential.

The frog is adjustable to close or open up the mouth. However, if you adjust it forward, the lower part of the blade won't be supported. One tip on making these work up to potential is to move the frog back until it is in line with the wooden part of the ramp. If you feel you need a tighter mouth, you should put in a shim between the blade and wooden ramp so that the blade is fully supported.

A benefit to these over the cast iron planes is that the plane probably won't be fatally broken if it is dropped on a hard surface.

The chipbreakers on these planes are not compatible with the Stanley cast iron planes, so a Hock or other replacement chipbreaker will not work (unless you're willing to modify it). Blades are interchangeable.

Jim

Mine work great...

I have two transitional planes of the same size as yours. One I had to put a new sole on and I made it out of lignum vietae. Works great. Will take a very fine shaving if required. They both have the stock blade ( non-Hock ). I keep them with an aggressive cut, well arc'd per Charlesworth's sharpening techniques. They are really good jack planes. IMO

I don't know how anyone would think they are no good. Maybe they might have had one that was not set up correctly or the sole was not at the proper distance from the iron length for the adjuster wheel movement.

I like them as good users.

I've got one of those. They will run slick over a piece of wood, unlike the 30 plus iron planes I have. It does a good job. I don't like the position of the adjusting screw.

Blog Entries
    I say clean it up and get it ready for use. I have a pair of transitions that belonged to my Great Grandfather (as well as a grooved bottom #7) they don't see much use but they are ready to go when I am. The #7 will most likey see more use when I get into a proper shop with proper bench.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Fix it up and send it to me.... I will use it and let you know if you have to look for an other one!!