Thread: 6 ft wide overhead doors

6 ft wide overhead doors

Anyone have a recommendation for 6ft wide insulated overhead steel doors? I'd like to avoid the commercial overhead if possible. Thanks in advance.

Any good overhead door installer should be able to get this for you. Overhead doors are easy to obtain in two foot width increments.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Porter View Post
    Anyone have a recommendation for 6ft wide insulated overhead steel doors? I'd like to avoid the commercial overhead if possible. Thanks in advance.
    What are you using it for? The only reason I ask is if it's for your shop, I'm working out of a converted two car garage (all insulated, lit up, no more garage doors, heating air conditioning, etc....nice space). The best thing I did was install a 6' wide double outswing door with a handicap sill. I can roll stuff in and out if I need to, but most of the time I just use one door. I much prefer this to all the other systems I looked at, including rollup doors and overhead doors.

Anyhow, I don't mean to be presumptuous, and you didn't really ask for advice. I'm just throwing out my own experience in case it helps someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    What are you using it for? The only reason I ask is if it's for your shop, I'm working out of a converted two car garage (all insulated, lit up, no more garage doors, heating air conditioning, etc....nice space). The best thing I did was install a 6' wide double outswing door with a handicap sill. I can roll stuff in and out if I need to, but most of the time I just use one door. I much prefer this to all the other systems I looked at, including rollup doors and overhead doors.

Anyhow, I don't mean to be presumptuous, and you didn't really ask for advice. I'm just throwing out my own experience in case it helps someone else.
    Hey John, this is exactly why I'm asking. I am in the process planning an addition to the house. If the bidding comes in where we hope and we go ahead with the project (shell only, as I will be doing the rest of the work myself), I will get a new shop out of the deal. It will be a walkout basement shop and I plan on having a 6ft overhead door in a concealed area of the addition (not facing the front or neighbors, and I really don't need an 8ft door). This area will also have a mandoor, but I like the idea of being able to use one door of the double door. What type of door did you get?

I'm not sure of the brand but I think it was a Therma-Tru. My local construction supply (NOT borg) knew everything there was to know about them, and helped me spec it out. I bought them hung and ready to install. Nice doors. Maybe I'll take a picture later and post it. They're insulated, fiberglass doors, and I'm very satisfied how it came out. I got mine as outswing doors, but you can get them in pretty much whatever configuration you want. I really didn't like the idea of an overhead door because it pretty much kills that ceiling space. I also think the regular door makes the space feel more like a shop and less like a garage.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I'm not sure of the brand but I think it was a Therma-Tru. My local construction supply (NOT borg) knew everything there was to know about them, and helped me spec it out. I bought them hung and ready to install. Nice doors. Maybe I'll take a picture later and post it. They're insulated, fiberglass doors, and I'm very satisfied how it came out. I got mine as outswing doors, but you can get them in pretty much whatever configuration you want. I really didn't like the idea of an overhead door because it pretty much kills that ceiling space. I also think the regular door makes the space feel more like a shop and less like a garage.
    thanks John, some good ideas there. If you have the time to take a pic, that would be great. Then I can get the "boss" to sign off on it.