Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to butt together 4 walls?

What about 1/2 " treated plywood with epoxy paint? (it is a shop bathroom).
    This seems the easiest, quickest solution? Any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    What type of fasteners did you use?

Treated requires special nails and screws.
    It eats anything else alive in a matter of months.
    Rich,
    One thing you want to keep in mind is there are now several types of treated on the market. When cca (old stuff) went out the initial replacement was ACQ. Now however there are several, Acq, ca, ca-b, etc..

Acq is the most corrosive and all are still more corrosive than cca was _but_ the big thing to remember is the corrosive effect is most prevalent only in applications where moisture contet is 19% or above. This is very wet conditions like decks, docks, and on or below grade applications.

Interior applications have vitrtually no probelms with corrosion as there is no water which must be present for there to be a problem. Double hot dip galvanized nails are more than acceptable for these applications. Further, most retail outlets are not carrying two sets of fasteners. We are all unfortunately paying for the high dollar fasteners, hangers, and so on regardless.

The thing to remember here is to dispose of your treated scraps properly. The reason we lost the best treated, cca, is due to poor disposal (burning and burying) and the same will happen again.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Prosser View Post
    What about 1/2 " treated plywood with epoxy paint? (it is a shop bathroom).
    This seems the easiest, quickest solution? Any issues?
    Rick, if you are going the route of a real "shop" bathroom it may be easier to just sheath the walls with regular OSB or drywall (which ever is cheaper) and then install FRP panels (fiber reinforced plastic). They are relatively inexpensive, last forever, and you would have a wall that you could hose down with a firehose.

Its not the most attractive looking stuff however it will likely look far better than plywood and its fasteners painted. This would absolutely be true as the job ages. In our experience there is just no way to make plywood and its joints and fasteners look good painted.

We have a supplier that offers smooth FRP in several colors and then rough FRP (which I dont really like) in 2 or 3. There are a couple textures, one is like a blister finish, and another is a sharper texture.

Here is a quick google
    http://www.frpshop.com/liner-panels-c-3_4.html

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Rick, if you are going the route of a real "shop" bathroom it may be easier to just sheath the walls with regular OSB or drywall (which ever is cheaper) and then install FRP panels (fiber reinforced plastic). They are relatively inexpensive, last forever, and you would have a wall that you could hose down with a firehose.
    Mark
    Cool idea - I will check into it. (check with the Boss)

A side note, that link is not our supplier but just a link I found on google showing you the panels. You can probably find the white panels at the home center. Not sure if they can order colors or not.

Mark

Mark,
    Good info.
    Thanks!

Well, I checked with the Boss, and she said she wants it to look nice - so no painted plywood. She wants sheet rock and (epoxy) paint. She wants to learn how to install and finish sheet rock, so this can be her first learning project.

Funny...I thought it was going to be my shop...

Well, I checked with the Boss, and she said she wants it to look nice - so no painted plywood. She wants sheet rock and (epoxy) paint. She wants to learn how to install and finish sheet rock, so this can be her first learning project.

Funny...I thought it was going to be my shop...
    COOL!!! A helper! Who WANTS to do drywall.

HD has the FRP in white. That's what I used for my florescent light reflectors. I also used some at a friend's house for her dog washing area...a raised tub with surround and light in the ceiling. She hasn't called me to do any repairs, so it must hold up pretty good. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

A picture will probably help.

The wall outlines are in green with a purple outline for the door. The shower floor is recessed in the concrete.

Oh, the water heater will sit on top of the room (in case that matters.)
    Rick, How large is the water heater that is going to sit on top of your shop bathroom? 20 gals. of H20 is 160 lbs plus 30-40 for heater. Build for load bearing walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Rick, How large is the water heater that is going to sit on top of your shop bathroom? 20 gals. of H20 is 160 lbs plus 30-40 for heater. Build for load bearing walls.
    Not sure of size yet, but building sturdy to handle what I end up with.