Thread: Tool purchasing decisions..

Tool purchasing decisions..

Does anyone here use magazine comparisons tests as a gauge to help you decide what new tool to buy. They seem to give the tools some decent workouts and tell you their shortcomings as well as strong points. They also are able to get most of the tool companies to send them a sample so they have a variety-something the average joe woodworker can't afford to do. The last 2 tools I bought using the results were the Jet clamps and the Makita 18V drill. I'm really happy with the performance of both choices.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

I do read comparisons and test and reviews but real world results mean a little more to me. I want a go1023 table saw from grizzly. Yes I did read what reviews I can find but I also read what I can find in forums. The magazine reviews seem to be a little more in depth, which is a good thing, but a review from a user who has been around awhile has its place too. How does the saw do after 3 months in action? etc. Hope you all see my point to.

Use the magazine review as advice. Also take into account on-line sources and SMC to see what others have to say.

I bought one of the DW735 planers at HD on clearance. It was the top performer in the review in one of the last Wood Magazines. That coupled with the clearance price made it a "no brainer".

I do not have access to 10 of every other brand of tools prior to purchase for comparison, so I have to use outside sources for that advice.

If a tool has crappy reviews, even for dirt cheap, it wouldn't be worth it. But, I wouldn't just rely on a single review to determine my decision.

I don't put any credance into magazine reviews, editors choices or best value choices. I would much rather see real world reviews from users who have used the tool or machine for quite some time to gage its performance. Unfortunately, most of these reviews are very suspect since they contain broad general statements such as "this saw is great" or "this saw is lousy" without specifics as to why. In this regard, the magazine reviews do a better, but still incomplete job. I put the most credibility for reviews in people that I know and trust will give a straight answer and explain why.
    Steve

The large tools I have/like rarely end up in magazines. I use reviews from owners more than magazines. Smaller power tools usually get reviewed her and on other forums long before magazines get them.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I "read" mag reviews, but don't give them much more weight than anyone else's opinion. Obviously most mag reviewers are better writers than the majority of wwer's, and they may have more exposure to various tools, but there's also more chance of "politics" and other unknowns that can influence the outcome of a review. Even if all is on the up and up, it still boils down to the writer's or the staff's collective opinion....and what they value may differ from what you or I value. There are usually pros and cons to each design, and each will usually have their fans. It's best to get your hands on as many as you can and decide for yourself.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I think one needs to do all of it......read the comparisons.......check forums....and go to a store and touch, feel and look it over for yourself.

If you are inexperienced with a major tool....buy a reference book about that tool and educate yourself BEFORE you even think about buying that tool. Too often someone gets into a buying frenzy......buys...and then finds out the tool they bought doesn't totally meet their needs and for a little more cash.......or a different model at the same price would have met their needs. Be an informed, educated shopper before you shop.

Another thing that is important is to have a realistic expectation of VALUE.

It is an unreasonable to expect the $477 saw at HD discounted to $299 to have the same level of fit, finish and function and meet the same specs as the $1,000 Grizzly or the $5,000 SawStop.....or the Made in the USA $13,000 without accessories Northfield. You pay more .....then you should get more. If not...why would you pay more?

I'm not flaming less expensive tools.....I own some....I'm not saying that paying more insures you are getting more......I am saying it isn't reasonable to expect more if you pay CONSIDERABLY less......

Read magazine tests.....check forums.......get educated.....see...feel....touch.....and remember......what is the right tool for you might not be the right tool for me....and visa versa.....

In the end what is important is that you are satisfied using your tool and me, with mine.........
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Annual tool guide sold at the magazine stand at Lowes. I think it's published by Fine Woodworking. The give you best overall, best value, and I think readers choice. I bought one a couple years ago and compared it's findings with what I read in forums. Haven't been disappointed yet.

I read reviews and weight the info like all other opinions. Magazines are often good to point out differences in tools which I may or may not see as an advantage. My priority is generally:

personal experience
    friends
    magazines
    forums
    online reviewers (since many of them get the tools for the review)

In the end you often find all sources seem to more or less line up, thats when you can feel safe. Longevity and reliability are things magazines don't usually deal with just like Road & Track et al with cars, the fact they tell you that the BMW is the best car only means when it works, there are other sources for reliability that info.

I look at all the info I can. I value " tests" more than "reviews". A test will have some scale of performance to meet. A review can be more subjective. I like results that can be measured in some way.

The FWW #209 test of parallel clamps was good. I don't want a clamp that will break when dropped from a bench period. They said how they tested and what broke. Bar deflection and maximum force are interesting, but if a clamp can't resist a few drops off a bench over the years I'll pass.

I love reading tool tests and reviews. Even for tools I don't need or would ever want. It's fun to hear how people relate to the stuff.

I will read the magazine reviews, but to be honest, they are useless.

Every review will pretty much come to the conclusion that every brand tested is fine. The "dings" they give a few of the models to justify who wins "Top Choice" are often inconsequential.

I understand that the magazines can't afford to anger a manufacturer and risk losing ad revenue. I don't have a problem with it. It's interesting to read what they say, but I think it's a poor guide for decision making. A net search will yield much more interesting real world experiences.

Also, I worked at a manufacturing company for awhile. The units we sent to reviewers were dramatically different than the units you bought off the shelf. The reviewers got units which were cherry picked off the line, often had parts upgraded, and had engineering go over them with a fine tooth comb. Yes, it was dishnoest. I don't know if tool companies do the same thing or not, but I am extremely leary of a review in which the manufacturer supplied the tool.

Reviews were great for a beginner

Being a hobbiest and with no real experience to fall back on, I used the magazine reviews to buy several of my foundation tools (TS/BS/Planer/MS/Jointer/DC) as I put my home shop together over the last 5 years (mostly before I discovered SMC). There was no way for me to make those comparisons first hand. All of those tools were top rated and I haven't been disappointed in their performance. As I do bigger projects on occasion, I do see some of the limitations of my tools, but I haven't yet hit on anything that I couldn't work around with a little ingenuity.

Now, however, I will use the Creek more if/when I upgrade some of that equipment, but will still also use published reviews.

Brian

I also check Amazon. They have reader reviews. I always read the 1 star ratings, to see if there are major flaws.
    You need to take all ratings with a grain of salt. Sometimes they rate a perfectly fine tool a 1 star because it came damaged. Now how does the shipping damage relate to the tool? The shipping company should get the 1 star..... They (Amazon) also allow anyone to post a review, so you also get those 1 star ratings because the poster doesn't want to pay for a quality tool. THey think it's too expensive.