Thread: Fireplace Mantel and Overmantel

Fireplace Mantel and Overmantel

I finally finished a project nearly 4 years after I promised the LOML I would do it. When we had our house built I told the builder not to do anything with the fireplace. I intended to do the trim-work myself. Well time kind of go away from me. So at any rate I started on the project about 2 weeks before Christmas. I finished painting it yesterday. I still have to paint the wall that it is on a contrasting color to highlight it. However the fireplace itself is done. P.S. The Christmas Tree in the before picture is from 2 years ago when I first thought I might get around to doing the project.

Before and after.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice - classic look, and well done!

Very nice job Willie. I did a few for hire down in Florida (yeah.. they were fake fire-places in up-scale homes ) when I worked there in the early 70's. I loved doing mantels but turned to furniture a few years latter out of necessity.

Looks great...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Looks great, Willie!! It doesn't look like the overmantel has hinged doors. Did you just close in the TV nook?

Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta View Post
    Looks great, Willie!! It doesn't look like the overmantel has hinged doors. Did you just close in the TV nook?

Keith
    Keith I did just close it in. If you watched it in that location for an entire movie you wound up walking away with a stiff neck. So we are not feeling like we made any compromise with the design.

Nice work Willie! I'm sure your wife feels that it was worth the wait.
    You say that the flat screen tv was too high for comfortable viewing. From your experience what would you say is a comfortable hieght to mount a tv? I am getting ready to build a tv cabinet and would appreciate your opinion.