Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Byrd for my Jet JPP-12

Considering a Byrd for my Jet JPP-12

I'm thinking about throwing my income tax return at a Byrd Shelix for my Jet JPP-12 combo machine and I was wondering if anyone who has done it have any issues. Big discussion a couple of years ago (before Jet came out with the JPP-12HH, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=796586). No need to discuss pros/cons of knives/spiral cutters, etc. I'm getting by with the knives and I don't need the shelix, I just want one. Thanks.

Don't have one....yet.

When I looked into buying a JJP-12 (before the helical head option was sold by Jet), I contacted Byrd. They stated that they sold many helical heads for the JJP-12 and have had no complaints. The cost (14 months ago) was $1095.00 plus additional $ if bearings are needed.

However, when Jet introduced the JJP-12HH, I believe they slowed the feed rate down from 20 fpm to 12 fpm. I believe this modification also delayed the JJP-12HH's introduction by 6+ months.

The feed rate info is hard to find for the JJP-12HH. It's not in Jet's product specs on their website. However, some folks here at SMC that have the JJP-12HH provided feedback.

If Jet did reduce the feed rate, why did they do it?

Just a thought.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post

If Jet did reduce the feed rate, why did they do it?

Just a thought.

-Jeff

Didn't Jet have an issue with overloading the motor/breaker with the HH when the originally started the process of adding the HH?

That is exactly the sort of issue that has me hesitating. I'm not trying to resolve any issues with my JJP-12. It's a fine machine and I'm happy with it. This is probably a good time to follow the old adage, "If it ain't broke..."

I'd love to add a Byrd head to my JJP-12 too. The price makes me choke and I'm still having trouble justifying the upgrade, but if I can get past the cost my next concern is what's involved in installing it and if it would over-tax the motor. I tend to only take very light cuts anyway and as a hobbyist I doubt that my amount of usage taxes this machine.

I hope someone who has performed this upgrade can chime in with some first hand experience.

-Mike

Mike,
    Though I can't help with the experience itself, I can tell you that Holbren.com is a great company & with the "SMC10" discount code, the price comes down to $985.50 w/ free S/H as far as I know.
    -Mike

Mike,

That's excellent news indeed. Much appreciated.

Helical head takes more power?

This is confusing to me. I was participating in a thread about this topic some months ago. Rick Lisek(?) from Massachusetts who has worked on woodworking machinery for years stated that it was common knowledge in the business that helical heads require less power than conventional cutterheads of the same size. I too would be interested in the feed rate for the JJP-12HH vs. JJP-12. The Grizzly helical head machine (G0634) is 5 h.p. but so is the 3 knife cutterhead machine (G0633). Somebody's just gotta buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    This is confusing to me. I was participating in a thread about this topic some months ago. Rick Lisek(?) from Massachusetts who has worked on woodworking machinery for years stated that it was common knowledge in the business that helical heads require less power than conventional cutterheads of the same size. I too would be interested in the feed rate for the JJP-12HH vs. JJP-12. The Grizzly helical head machine (G0634) is 5 h.p. but so is the 3 knife cutterhead machine (G0633). Somebody's just gotta buy one.
    I think there is a different issue going on besides raw power. I think the number and placement of cutters could have something to do with it. The other discussion used a phrase like the feed rate got the wood "ahead" of the cutter. In any case though HH by common knowledge should use less power than knives it does not seem universal, many Dewalt owners claim their machines labors more once a HH is installed.

I would also like to know if the feed rate was lowered, if so we can pretty much bet there was a serious reason behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    This is a quote from Wood magazine March 2009:

" You also have to factor in the cutterhead when figuring cutting power because spiral models with carbide cutters require greater oomph to power through cuts. (This happens because two to three cutters are always in contact with the wood; straight knives have intervals—albeit split-second ones—between knife cuts.) "

Although contrary to popular opinion it certainly is logical, but would also depend on the number of cutters and their spacing, but I think this explains the extra power needed with some HH replacements.

Arc

I don't think that these companies slow down the feed rate because the motors can't handle it. My theory is that they slow down the feed rate so that the teeth make more contact with the wood. At least a full revolution per tooth width from front to back. I am thinking that because of the shape of the Byrd teeth you need to get that tooth to crest the plane or you will end up with the well documented scalloping. Once the teeth cross the plane then the tops of the teeth are flat. The more teeth you can have hitting the wood the more flat the surface. This may be a completely false assumption but I just can't think why they would do it. Taking small chunks consistently would put a consistent load on the motor which these machines should handle just fine. A fellow woodworker put one on a Hammer A3-31. While the motor is 4hp, he didn't mention having any problems with the cut quality or taxing the motor. This may be due to the fact that the head was at a high enough RPM that the feed rate was ok. The math can be done by much smarter people than myself on how many times the teeth would break plane. Longwinded theory and please feel free to shoot holes in it.

Mike, I like your theory. A slight deviation of it may be that the higher feed rate changes the effective shear cut's angle of attack. That is, with faster feed speed, the shear cut of each tooth must cut more linear feet of wood and is thus less effective at achieving a smooth cut.

Another theory is that a helical head is less efficient at clearing the chips. So, one must either slow the feed rate down or derate the maximum cutting depth.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

I remain interested in this thread because I've had the same thoughts about eventually adding a helical head. Given the feed roller drive train I don't see a way to slow the feed rate without some major revamping. I recall when the JJP-12HH first appeared on Jet's web site mentioning a feed rate of 20 feet/minute, same as the JJP-12. Now there is no feed rate mentioned. I wonder if the original entry was an edited JJP-12 page and they forgot to remove the feed rate line.

I'm confused

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cornelsen View Post
    I'm not trying to resolve any issues with my JJP-12. It's a fine machine and I'm happy with it. This is probably a good time to follow the old adage, "If it ain't broke..."
    I'm confused. If your J/P is performing just fine, why would you want to change out the cutterhead???

I wouldn't consider a helical cutterhead an "upgrade" to a machine that is operating well. More like a waste of money.

Regards,

John

Has anyone on here actually replaced a head on a jointer. I have a Jet 6" jointer and would like to put the Byrd cutter head on as a replacement. ANYONE???