Thread: Making Some Beer Tap Handles...

Making Some Beer Tap Handles...

I am looking to turn some beer tap handles out of cherry...I am going to have to either screw in threaded inserts into the bottom or I will need to tap threads into the bottom.

Either way, I am going to have to buy into either option. I can get a cheap tap from HF for 15$ or I can buy the threaded inserts from woodcraft for 10 $ with the T-Handle. I am not worried about the money.

Part of me says buy the tap and make the threads myself, then I will have it if I need it in the future. The other side says that I should get the inserts because they will be more durable over time.

What do you think will be the best option?

Thanks in advance,

John G

I vote inserts. Machine threads will go quick in wood. If you go with threads I don't think you'll need a tap. Try just screwing a test peice on.

I would think that no matter what threads you used, a brass or chrome outer ring would be necessary to keep them from splitting. My preference would be inserts.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Inserts. Beer taps have a standard thread for the handles that's too fine to last very long in wood. Also people aren't too delicate when using taps.

If the tap handles are going to be changed out often, the threaded inserts will hold up much better.

If you need any help testing out the tap handles, all you have to do is ask!

Thanks for all the info...It is going into a kegerator that my friend and I are building...The handles would never be changed(probably not).

I was more concerned with the threads splitting the cherry when I run them in than wear and tear. I am probably going to use the inserts.

My friend brews his own at home and is getting quite good at it. I will have to show this thing off here when I get it done. It is going to hold 6 2 gallon kegs when completed.

Thanks Again,

John G

The handles would never be changed(probably not).
    Not true, sort of! The Marker "Handle" as most of you call it will be removed often because of flushing the lines and cleaning the faucet. Metal threaded inserts over time will also become loose in the Marker if you tighten it up on the stem to much.

Quote Originally Posted by John Grabowski View Post
    ...It is going into a kegerator that my friend and I are building.....It is going to hold 6 2 gallon kegs when completed.
    I honestly don't care how you do it, I just want an invitation to your place when you're done.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Well, I have been working on building some stuff for my friends beer fridge. It is a modified chest freezer that is going to hold 6- 2 gallon kegs of homebrew. He asked me to make a surround to attach the taps to and also raise the height of the fridge to hold more kegs. This is the surround. It still needs some finish put on it to make it weather proof…Its all cherry.

It has some sap wood in it…Lovely!!

I dovetailed it to make it look nice…Overkill maybe??

I also built a mobile base out of cherry…Dovetailed it to an dado’d it for a 2×6 to hold the 5 inch casters that are not attached yet. You can see one of the pins cut out from the dado for the 2×6.

I even started turning handles for the taps made out of cherry. Honing my skills on making spindles…Lots of fun and lots of shavings. Several more to come!!

Thanks to all for comments on putting threads in the handles…I eventually went with the threaded inserts and epoxied them in…I was having a hard time driving them in straight.

I will post more pics once we get everything all together and humming.
    let me know what you think,

John G
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you are actually going to use it, inserts are a must.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I can tell ya from experience inserts. They won't hold up just tapping the wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.