Thread: Pen from the USA

Pen from the USA

Hi All
    Havent posted in a while been a bit tied up with work (dam that gets in the way of turning)
    This Cocobolo Blank was one of the wonderful surprise pack set to me by my penpalMaria in last years pen swap I have been waiting for a special purpose and have turned it in to a Gold Cigar pen as a present for a family friend
    it is finished to 1200# then 4 coats of Rustins Plasticoat left for 24 hours then wet cut with 2000# a further 4 coats and wet cut and pollished with burnishing compound and Plastix polish

I still have a beautiful blank of Honduran Rose wood that I will probably turn in to a Cambridge fountain pen like this one I finished last week in Brown Mallee Burl
    Thanks Maria your selection of blanks have given me a lot of pleasure
    Love your comments
    Graham
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking pens, really like that deep finish. Have you turned an Apollo Infinity and if so how would you compare it with the Cigar pen?
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

Graham, These are extremely great pens. The painstaking finishing process really does this awesome wood justice. Nice Work!

Beautiful pens Graham - exceptional finish! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wonderful wood and finish. Thanks for posting.

The pens are beautiful, what did you use to finish them?

Really nice pens Graham. Really nice finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Love the pens.A very nice deep looking gloss.
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bullock View Post
    Nice looking pens, really like that deep finish. Have you turned an Apollo Infinity and if so how would you compare it with the Cigar pen?
    Hi Roger
    No I havent tried the Apollo but I will see if I can find one in OZ
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pierce View Post
    The pens are beautiful, what did you use to finish them?
    Hi Joe
    I use Rustins Plasticoat I sand to 1200 and wipe with pure spirit then put 4 coats of rustins on with about 1/2 hour between coats alow to dry for 24 hours then wet cut with 2000# just until there are no blemishs on the surface, wipe with pure sprit and apply a further 4 coats This is then allowed to dry for 48 hours, lightly wet cut with acrilic finishing pads, Rustins burnishing cream and a final polish with Plastix polish, sounds a lot but I mount up to ten blanks on a 1/4" threaded rod seperated by small tapered spacers that I have turned and finish all at once
    The first wet cut is done by mounting the whole rod in the chuck and supporting the other end with a live center I use the turned spacers when I re mount on the mandrell for the finish cut and polish
    hope this is of some help
    Regards
    Graham

Hello Graham,
    Nice to see more of your work! I clearly sent those blanks to the right person, you did a marvelous job on those pens. The shine is so deep. I'm still deciding on the right hardware to match with your blanks. I think I've turned only one pen since the swap, so I had better practice a bit before attempting it (have to do justice to that conkerberry!).
    Happy Turning
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood