Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Home for the Delta - revisited!

New Home for the Delta - revisited!

I had posted a previous thread on the building of the stand for my new Delta 46-460. Things have seemed a little slow in the Turners Forum over the last few days, and with all the new, and soon to be, owners of the Delta, I thought I would post some updated pics of what my setup looks like now with some recent changes.

This is the stand. I intend to build a 4-drawer box to sit on the shelf that will be home to all the "stuff" one accumulates with this turning addiction.
    2010_02070006.JPG2010_02070007.JPG

The stand has two rollers installed on the side of the legs on the headstock end. The rollers are flush with floor level. To move the stand, I raise the tailstock end to engage the rollers.

The lamp on the drop down table, usually sets on the lathe bench, to the rear of the lathe when in use, though I would like a little better setup with possibly a magnifier for detail work on finials, etc.

On the wall to the left of the headstock, I have thrown together a couple of tool racks based on the design posted by Dan Forman and Jeff Wright. Mine do not reflect the level of craftsmanship as those done by Dan and Jeff. I used some maple that had been ruined by powder post beetles, and did not bother with much in the way of finishing cuts - rough, but serviceable.

The round objects on the wall below the tools are my circle templates for cutting bowl blanks. Made from hardboard I had lying around - plexiglass would be better.

I have a DC drop in the corner, and have the Big Gulp hood set up behind the lathe. When I installed my DC system, I put in a floor sweep on the opposite side of the shop. Pushing the shavings across the floor isn't that big of a deal, but I will move the sweep come spring. I just didn't anticipate at the time a trip into the VORTEX, or I would have put the sweep in this corner.

2010_02070001.JPG
    Originally, I had a drop down caster to support the tailstock end of the stand, but with the added weight of the lathe, and the soon to be drawer unit, it did not function well. I replaced it with a Harbor Freight trailer jack on sale for $20 - works great.

Hope this provides some interest to all those new members of DELTA FORCE!! We must unite in order to withstand the power of the Mustard Monster Mob!!

Good ideas there John. Just one problem as I see it though. You will NEVER be able to withstand the force of the Mustard Monster. Not a sermon, just a warning.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

John,

the Jets are just over the horizon...need i say more

Looks good and solid... I like the fact that you can stand just off the end near the tailstock.

I noticed a tiny pile of shavings... golf tee?

What's that thing with the handle on one end and a bunch of straw on the other?

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    What's that thing with the handle on one end and a bunch of straw on the other?
    Pre-industrial age DC system!! The rest of the system (upright dust pan collector) is just to the left, outside the pic. These are holdovers from a bygone era, and are being retained for their instructional value as my grandchildren progress through life. As time goes on, I will be donating them to a local museum!

LONG LIVE DELTA FORCE!!!!!
    DELTA FORCE.gif

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post

The lamp on the drop down table, usually sets on the lathe bench, to the rear of the lathe when in use, though I would like a little better setup with possibly a magnifier for detail work on finials, etc.

John,

You've got a nice set up. On the topic of lights, I have three that are similar to the one pictured below. (The picture is from Harbor Freight. I have one from there and two from Woodcraft.) The magnetic base allows me to position one on the headstock and another on the side of the lathe. With two lights on magnetic bases, I can almost always get the lighting I need. Quick, flexible, easy, and cheap. It's a nice combo. (The third light almost always lives on my drill press.)

I also have Rockler's LED Work Light with Magnifying Head. The one time I tried it on my lathe, it was great! Somehow, however, the light made its way into my wife's workroom and refuses to come out into my shop. I'd buy another, but Rockler doesn't have any in stock. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...%20Innovations
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the tour of your lathe area. Now we can see where the master works.

I see only one problem with this set-up. The lathe is stuck in the corner! Now that you are fully engulfed in the vortex, and there is no hope of any more f@#$ work - unless it is turning related - the lathe should be the center of attention. So move your table saw out of the way and replace it with the lathe. You don't really need that saw for anything anymore, except for flat storage space.

Brian - proud member of the DELTA FORCE!
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Great looking setup John. Thanks for sharing.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That is one beautiful set up. Great idea with the trailer lift.

John, thats a good looking bench but Im suprised it not made from walnut and maple ......I do have a question, why are the legs on the outside rather than the inside? looks like it would be a snag problem
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    ...I do have a question, why are the legs on the outside rather than the inside? looks like it would be a snag problem
    David, honestly - laziness!! I slapped together the two inner frames - shelf and top, without having to worry about the intrusion of the legs.

As it turns out, though, I kind of like the clear area on the shelf, and the legs don't present an issue. It may be more stable, as well, with the legs outside the weight distribution.

I will have to admit to my latent desire to build everything out of walnut, with a little curly maple thrown in for flavor!!

David W., thanks for the info on the lights and magnifier!!

Hello John, The details of your lathe area are extremely helpful. I'm excited to get started turning .... but per Toolnut, my lathe won't ship out until the 2/21 or later But at least now with the aid of your setup photos and description I can start on a stand .

Many thanks!!
    Jeff

Go "Delta Force"

A great looking set-up.
    Envy!

Terry

They say imitation is the highest form of compliment and I have John Keeton to thank for his lathe stand design. In fact from now on I think this style shall be dubbed "the Keeton". I too looked at dozens of designs and was going to be very creative. However with my lathe being delivered very soon I wanted a good strong stand that I could put together in a few hours with a simple, flexible design and "the Keeton" does it all!
    I made a few changes but it is essentially the same. I used two 3/4" pieces of MDF for the top. I debated putting my lathe on the near edge but aesthetics led me to center the lathe on the stand. I will move it closer if I find myself leaning over it but the stand is narrow and doesnt seem to be an issue. I really liked the wheels on the end idea and thought maybe that is all i will need but it is heavy and may have to add a trailer jack...just like the original "Keeton".
    Anyway, it has worked out great and my kindling production is in full swing. I am new at turning and thanks to all on this forum for the inspiration. And thanks to John.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe, I am humbled!! To be honored by having a lathe stand bear my name has been my life's goal. I feel somewhat like Garth Brooks when he expressed that he had accomplished everything he had hoped to accomplish and it had been a great ride!! I simply don't know where to go from here.

There is only one major problem - yours looks so much prettier than mine!! I like the MDF top.