Thread: HF dust collector hose question

HF dust collector hose question

For those of you with the HF dust collectors, what size hose are you using? I was hoping to build a Thein pre-separator and use 5" flexible hose, but am not finding 5" fittings or hose nearby. On the other hand, HF has a bargain on 4" hose ($14.95 for 10').

Suppose I build the separator with 4" fittings and then have another 10' or so of 4" flexible hose to my tool (one at a time), will the performance be dismal? I have a tablesaw, a G0490 jointer, and a DW735 planer. I also have a router table but plan to continue using my shop vac for that.

Anyone built a separator with 5" fittings? Where did you get them, and what was the approximate total cost?

By the way, I did order a Wynn 35A nano filter.

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

If you will have a cartridge on top, just add the Thien baffle to the HF DC. That takes less space and should work better than having it separate. The HF DC I set up that way with a WynnEnv cartridge is still working fine after several years, though I don't have it now. I use 4" duct, though it was mostly smooth wall rigid S&D pipe with short sections of flex hose to allow me to move it from one machine to the next.
    Last edited by Alan Schwabacher; 02-08-2010 at 11:14 PM.

I use 4", 5" is next to impossible to find, and when you can find it, it is horribly expensive... Another option is to build a new impeller flange to replace the 5" unit and fit it with a 6" inlet...

The Wynn cartridge helps out airflow on these quite a bit, I haven't tried it, but venting outside should also help as you are nearly eliminating backpressure...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

David,
    Thanks for the info. I was not sure 6" hose would work for this dust collector, that it might be too big. Like you, it seems that I am unable to find 5" except on line and that is pricey.

I think I am going to try putting the Thein baffle in the dust collector rather than building a pre-separator, and I'll just be careful about the big chunks, and then I'll try a 4" flex line to my tool. Got to be better than what I have now (nothing!).

Bill

I have the HF 2 hp unit. Got the 5" flex hose and fitting from Oneida (they are local for me). Seem like high quality but, yes - expensive. I think the hose was $50 for 10 ft and the flange was maybe another $20 or so.

I read somewhere (Pentz maybe) that 5" was the right diameter for this unit.

What do you think of Penn State Industries hose?

Anyone have any experience with hose from PSI? Their prices seem pretty good, and the UPS shipping is very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitch View Post
    Anyone have any experience with hose from PSI? Their prices seem pretty good, and the UPS shipping is very reasonable.
    Yeah, I've got it. It has put up with my abuse for a year so far and is holding up well. VERY flexible. My opinion of this hose has gone way up since I got it... (You are talking about the 50' Superflex hose right?).

I think extreme cold temps or abuse would crack or tear this stuff, but with reasonable care, this hose should work for years to come...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

David,
    Looking at their web site, they list 5" hose in:
    1. Black plastic
    2. CVD heavy duty clear ($90 for 25 feet, $40 for 10')
    3. Translucent Super Heavy Duty Polyurethane ($30, but only 5' sections)
    I am thinking #2. Do you have something else?