Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Planer value

Delta Planer value

Hi guys.
    Don't tell the Neanderthal folks I'm here
    A friend has a 15"....he thinks Delta thickness planer. It's old and runs on 220 volts. It's a ways away so I havn't gotten to see it yet. He doesn't know what to sell it for and I've looked on Craigs List and Ebay. Even though Craigs list seems to have several, I can't see if they actually sold for what it was advertised. Do any of you know any other resourses to value something like that?
    Thanks Josh

owwm.org should be a good source

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    owwm.org should be a good source
    No, it would be a poor source. Appraisals/pricing is not practiced there.

Get some more info on the planer and the guys here will be able to assist you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Shanku View Post
    No, it would be a poor source. Appraisals/pricing is not practiced there.

Get some more info on the planer and the guys here will be able to assist you.
    The info is coming. Thanks for the help.

Get at least the model number and Serial No. You can go to OWWM.com and find our rhe year it was made and see restored photos of similar machine.

The go to OWWM.org and search in The Shop with the Model number and you can get an idea of what people have done to restore the machine.

Are you looking to buy it or just trying to get him a price?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Get at least the model number and Serial No. You can go to OWWM.com and find our rhe year it was made and see restored photos of similar machine.

The go to OWWM.org and search in The Shop with the Model number and you can get an idea of what people have done to restore the machine.

Are you looking to buy it or just trying to get him a price?
    I'll be buying it from his Mom. She's a widow, trying to give a fair price w/o hurting myself. That's why the current info is a little sketchy. We think it's a delta or rockwell 15". Tomorrow I should have more info. I just needed an idea, if it's one of these. It's fairly old and was bought from a quality hardware supplier in this area, that's why I'm sure it is name brand. They paid $900 20 or more years ago. He said it's been used a good bit. I'm thinking $400 it it's in good shape and a name brand. But I really don't know much more. Oh ya, it's mounted on a homemade roll around stand, that put's it in the smaller of the old planers. He any has a guess, it will be worth it, in case I need to make a quick decision.

I bough a used delta DC-380 with about 15 years on it a few years back for $325. It needed a lot of cleaning and tuning, and the previous owner had scraped the table pretty good with some nails in reclaimed pallet stock. Mine is a solid performer and fair bit better than a lunch box that would have cost more IMO. Don't know if that gives you any ballpark. The DC-380 is a 15" 220V small iron planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I bough a used delta DC-380 with about 15 years on it a few years back for $325. It needed a lot of cleaning and tuning, and the previous owner had scraped the table pretty good with some nails in reclaimed pallet stock. Mine is a solid performer and fair bit better than a lunch box that would have cost more IMO. Don't know if that gives you any ballpark. The DC-380 is a 15" 220V small iron planer.
    That's exactly what I need. Thanks Any others bought one of this type....?

I don't think Delta was making planers twenty years ago under The "Delta" label. It would have been a "Rockwell", most likely. Rockwell made two different 13" planers. One is the size of a small refrigerator, weighed close to a 1000 pounds. It was made to compete with the PM 100. Then Rockwell came out with the RC-33 (also 13"), which became the Delta DC-33. When it was enlarged to 15", it became the Delta 380. I have both the Rockwell refrigerator and a Delta 380. I paid $600 for the 380 five years ago, in mint condition, with an extra set of sharp knives. There are several clones of the Delta 380 out there, but they are all good machines. A fellow wood worker here picked up a "clone" for $200 recently. Just the planer, no stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I don't think Delta was making planers twenty years ago under The "Delta" label.
    1990?? Sure they were.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

From what I have seen for 15 inch Delta planers around 300 to 400 would be fair, but you really need to see it.

If it needs work like bearings 300 would be fair and the less work the closer to 400.

12. delta planer

the dc-380 will bring from $700 to $900 here is phoenix. It depends on the condition.
    Harold

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    From what I have seen for 15 inch Delta planers around 300 to 400 would be fair, but you really need to see it.

If it needs work like bearings 300 would be fair and the less work the closer to 400.
    Hey, that's a good point. If it is a delta or rockwell, what flaws do I look for? How do I know the bearing are bad?
    Thanks for all this help.
    I will be looking at it. It's a long ways off and I'm suppose to get some specific info today on it, but am trying to lay the ground work. Was there a 15" powermatic that far back?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bowman View Post
    Hey, that's a good point. If it is a delta or rockwell, what flaws do I look for? How do I know the bearing are bad?
    Thanks for all this help.
    I will be looking at it. It's a long ways off and I'm suppose to get some specific info today on it, but am trying to lay the ground work. Was there a 15" powermatic that far back?

If its an older planer, its best to assume they are, and plan on fixing it. $20 and a few hours is well worth the peace of mind, imo.

Unhappy

This just in. The planer is a Taiwanese, 3 horse power 15" planer. It has a number on it "1986B". The motor is 110 or 220 volt. Has a ser. number of 3275. It works, would this be a Delta/Rockwell knockoff? If so, I bet the value just went down. Again I'm trying to be fair. I'm going to make the trip tonight to look at the thing and get by all this guessing. But if you have any general info, it would be helpful.
    Josh