Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLCS Motorized Router Lift

MLCS Motorized Router Lift

I'm a subscriber to new posts from a SMC contributor when he posts new videos on youtube and I thought this announcement was worth passing along to fellow Creekers.

I want a router lift so bad I can hardly stand it. But, I'm going to wait a few more months. There's gonna be a new kid on the block soon, hopefully by Spring.

This new lift has been under development for nearly 2 years now. (It's really amazing to me what all goes into the production of a new tool!). I do know that the first 10 commercial prototype units have been delivered to the woodworking supply house, MLCS, that will sell this new lift and is currently being field-tested. Fellow Creeker John Nixon is the inventor of this new Motorized Router Lift. He hooked up with MCLS to bring the commercial version of his lift to market.

A sneak peek video of the new MRL can be seen on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAL5eCIQOxw

In the interest of full disclosure I have no financial stake in this new lift. When it does come on the market, I'll pay for mine just like anyone else who chooses to purchase one. My interest in the new lift is that I am very impressed with what I've seen.

Some of the features of this new lift are:

It comes with the standard MLCS aluminum 9” X 12” router plate. However, it can be mounted to whatever plate one may already have in their router table. (I have the Rockler 8 ¼” X 11 ¾” aluminum plate in my table, now. I haven’t yet decided if I’ll cut the table opening larger to fit the MLCS plate or if I’ll simply mount the MRL to my existing Rockler plate. Since my existing opening is smaller than the MLCS plate I’ll probably enlarge the opening to fit the new plate that comes with the MRL.)

The lift itself is fully motorized. There are no cranks, handles, etc. used to raise and lower the router. It comes with a control panel that mounts on a router table. The electronic "brain" in the control panel allows one to use the variable speed control feature of the lift motor. This allows the lift to raise slowly during various operations or to raise quickly when I want to change bits), The direction of travel can be changed with the push of a button from up to down and has a digital display that reads to .001 thousandths of an inch. The readout can be set to zero at any point on the travel.

For hands free use, the lift comes with a foot pedal that allows the user to both raise and lower the router.

The lift has a built in upper stop that allows the user to set the maximum height of travel of the router motor/bit. Once the lift has reached the upper limit of travel, determined by the operator, a built in switch stops the motor that raises and lowers the lift. There's also a lower limit stop that does the same thing.

The lift has 4"+ of vertical travel and allows for above the table bit changes. Once the router is installed into the lift the only time that a person would need to go "under the table" would be to change the depth stop height, a simple turn of a knob.

As I understand it, this new MRL will fit any router with a 3 ½” diameter motor. It’s also my understanding that at some point in the near future there will be a version that will fit larger diameter motors. I think that MLCS is also going to offer an optional motor to go with the lift.

A couple of advantages that I see in a motorized router lift vs. the manual lifts would be cutting dados, rabbets and mortises in incremental passes. For example, if I'm using a solid carbide spiral bit to cut a mortise in a piece of wood I would lower the router until the bit is just barely beneath the surface of the table. I set the digital display to zero. Then, I raise the motor to the maximum depth of my intended cut and set the depth stop, using the digital readout, of course, to determine that point.

Now, using a tenon jig that rides in a miter track in the table or some jig that rides against the fence, (whatever one's preference), along with stops either in the miter track or on the fence that would determine the starting and stopping point of the left to right travel of the jig/stock, the operation is a simple task.

I put my stock above the bit, turn the router on, raise the spinning bit into the stock, using the foot pedal to do so, perhaps 1/8-3/16", and move the stock from side to side. Repeat as necessary, in small increments, until I've achieved the desired depth of the mortise. I look at the digital readout to know how deep I'm cutting with each pass.

The thing that really appeals to me is that I will not have had to remove my jig/stock from the table to change the depth of cut. Essentially, as I see it, a router table equipped with this motorized router lift will convert that table into an inverted plunge router. The difference would be that one will be moving the stock across this "inverted plunge router" instead of vice versa and the plunge feature is completely motorized.

I also believe that the dust collection will be much better than using the plunge router for making stopped dados, mortises, etc. I know that it will be better than on my current plunge router DC. setup.

I'm certainly not knocking any of the fine lifts on the market already, nor am I suggesting that anyone not buy one of the perfectly good lifts already on the market such as the Jessem, Woodpecker, Bench Dog, etc. But, I'm going to wait a few more months to get a router lift because I see the potential of this new MRL being able to open up many more operations for me that would not be possible, or even if possible not nearly as easy to perform, as with a motorized router lift. I feel certain that these operations will be much safer than lowering the stock onto a spinning bit on the router table, which I must admit that I sometimes do

MLCS will also be offering a circle cutting jig and a mortising jig as accessory items to be used with the MRL.

I’ll be sure to post a review of the lift once I’ve given it a workout on my router table. I’d also be interested in hearing reviews from anyone else who may purchase one before I do.

Sorry, I don’t yet know what the price of the MRL will be. I understand that it will be competitively priced with the higher end manual lifts already on the market. For anyone interested, keep checking with MLCS. It should be in their catalogue and on their website in the fairly near future.
    Last edited by Stephen Edwards; 02-08-2010 at 8:55 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I wonder what the price tag on this is going to be?
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post
    I wonder what the price tag on this is going to be?
    Chuck, I don't know for sure. My hunch is that it'll be somewhere in the $300-350 range. I'm as curious to know as you are. I guess we'll find out pretty soon.

One feature that I've seen in photographs that isn't really clear in the sneak peak video are the mounting bars for the control panel. They appear to be well designed and built so that the user has several options for mounting the control panel on the router table.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

Looks nice. I wonder if it will read in fractions. That would be nice.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I am betting at least $500 and maybe more - DRO, scale, foot pedal, motor, lift, etc. A woodpecker lift is $280+ with just a lift.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I am betting at least $500 and maybe more - DRO, scale, foot pedal, motor, lift, etc. A woodpecker lift is $280+ with just a lift.
    Yeah, I am thinking at least that much.

If you are a tinkerer, something like this could be made. Would even be a fun project!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    My "hunch price" of $300-350 would be for the lift only (with mounting plate), the control panel and the foot pedal. It would not include a motor. The motor, as I understand it, will be offered as an option, not part of the standard lift package. In fact, I'm not even certain that the motor will be offered in the beginning.

I'll try to get more details.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Yeah, I am thinking at least that much.

If you are a tinkerer, something like this could be made. Would even be a fun project!
    I love that word tinkerer! In fact, that's where this whole idea was born......
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

I guess if I would get the chance to use a router lift I may see the value. But for $350 I can reach under the table to make my adjustment.
    If I were going to drop that kind of coin I would put it towards a shaper.

Motorized lift idea is kinda cool but seems like just something to go wrong for such a simple process.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 02-09-2010 at 12:49 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I bet it's closer to $1000 than it is to $350.

Blog Entries
    The guy in the video made his original with a car window motor IIRC. Very clever and does things you couldn't do without it. The lift looks too lightweight to get my attention though. I would expect a motorized one to be even more heavy duty than my manual lift which the one in the video definitely is not. Still, he seems like a good and earnest person and I wish him well in his efforts.

My electrical add-on:

Fast-Positioner-sm.jpg

No foot pedal but, for $14 at Costco, whadda ya want.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I bet it's closer to $1000 than it is to $350.
    That would be my guess, too.

About 7 years ago, I made a much more primitive one, a version of which I still use today. I just added a coupler to the bottom of my WP Plunge Lift lead screw and connected it to a small 1/20 hp, bi-directional, AC gear motor. It is wired to a DPDT paddle switch located on the front of the cabinet next to my power switch. It works quite well. I never got a chance to add the foot pedal. I have a Wixey readout to add to it also.

I saw a ACME leadscrew and me thinks he's using a stepper motor to get the even 0.005" steps. At least that's the way I'd do it if I was interested in repeatable step size and position control.

I think with an accurate stepper and a more fine leadscrew you could get to 0.001" if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack DuBois View Post
    I saw a ACME leadscrew and me thinks he's using a stepper motor to get the even 0.005" steps. At least that's the way I'd do it if I was interested in repeatable step size and position control.

I think with an accurate stepper and a more fine leadscrew you could get to 0.001" if necessary.
    My brother who just got done converting a Bridgeport mill to CNC tried to convince me I needed to do the same to my router lift. The one thing, bit size must be remembered either manually (chart) or controller memory. A problem with routers that mills don't have, is that you can mount a bit differently each time, they don't always register the same, so each bit must be zeroed each time you use it, just like with a Wixey if you want to be repeatable.

I offered a version of my lift to Rich Hummel of WoodPeckers two years ago. He was interested and wanted me to send him one, but my design was still fairly primitive and all I had was the one unit on my own table. Looks like I missed the boat on that one! Of course the MLCS one has more features than I would have included. I'm surprised Jointech(?) who had integrated a Wixey in theirs hasn't come up with a powered lift.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 02-09-2010 at 2:35 AM.

John has been encouraging people for years to build their own shop built version of a MRL. In fact, if you google Eagle Lake Woodworking, you'll find his site with detailed instructions, including videos stepping you through the process of building your own for very little money.

Far as I know the original one that he came up with (that he used in his shop for 7 years and that he teaches how to build on his site) uses a battery powered screwdriver to raise and lower the motor. Of course, he did some tinkering on the screwdriver but that's the guts of the lifting mechanism.

I have a lot of respect for the guy for several reasons, one of which is that even though there will soon be a commercial version of the MRL on the market, he's still encouraging and teaching people how to build their own shop built MRL for a fraction of the cost of the commercial version. To me, that says a lot about his integrity.

I also think that it will push the other manufacturers of router lifts to offer a motorized version of their lifts simply because, as Glenn Bradley noted, it allows one to perform operations on the router table that you can't do without the motorized lifting action.

When this thing hits the market and woodworkers begin to see the benefits and the increased efficiency of motorizing the lifting action of a router motor in a table, surely other manufacturers are going to follow suit with their own versions, IMHO. This is what's great about the free market!

Perhaps I'm nuts, (that's another topic all together!), but I truly believe that one guy's invention and his dedication to his concept is going to lead to a whole new generation of router lifts through out the industry. We, as woodworkers, will benefit from this because of innovation and competition in the free market. I see it as a win-win situation for all of us!

Time will tell.............
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568