Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking apron question...

Woodworking apron question...

Any idea who makes or sells the white woodworking apron that this guy shows?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9VCD...om=PL&index=50
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks alot like my Rockler apron. Mine is Blue Denim, but maybe available elswhere in White?

Lee Valley sells an apron with the same strap configuration. Different (I think better) pockets though, and tan color.

I have the Lee Valley apron and it is very well made and versitale. Have been using it for two years now and it wears like iron.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

No, But I'd like to find out too. If you wear one much the criss cross design is essential. The bucket boss kinda does that with just one catch to fasten it.

Could this be it?

I didn't see a Shopsmith logo on the apron in the video, but this does look like the same apron to me....

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/c...itileapron.htm

Could be this one, too...

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10995
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason White; 02-09-2010 at 4:54 PM.

You can get a leather carpenters or turners aprons custom made to your specifications by CW McClellan. CW is a Member of The Creek and there are a couple threads here that have pictures of his work.

I had CW make me a carpenters apron from horsehide, beats the heck out of the cloth aprons and it will be here when I'm gone.

Blog Entries
    I have the Rockler and Lee Valley aprons. The Lee Valley apron has cross over shoulder straps that support the weight on your shoulders rather than your neck. I find it to be much more comfortable.

Another vote for the Lee Valley apron, very nice to wear and big pockets with side entry so they don't collect as much sawdust.

Keith,

How hot is your apron? I communicated with CW about having one made and he gave me all the particulars to measure, but I never followed up. I recall thinking at the time that any kind of leather in the Birmingham March - November part of the year could be miserable...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    You can get a leather carpenters or turners aprons custom made to your specifications by CW McClellan. CW is a Member of The Creek and there are a couple threads here that have pictures of his work.

I had CW make me a carpenters apron from horsehide, beats the heck out of the cloth aprons and it will be here when I'm gone.

Why do you care what color that apron is?

Jerome,

Possibly there is a difference between leather and a cloth apron but I doubt that I can tell the difference concerning heat factor. I have worn mine many times installing signs in new buildings before the AC was operational and when installing signs outside in the summer. I wear mine just a little bit loose when its warm, more so than when I am in the shop or in the winter.

The horse leather apron that CW made for me is thinner than cow hide, its very pliable and moves well. It has the cross bands in the back and a lower band that connects the sides above the hips so it doesn't need to be tight to stay in place and be comfortable.

Stains aren't a problem, even the grease from the ShopBot rails wipes right off and dust blows off easily with an air hose. When I am installing at a customers location I can't wear a dirty apron, this one stays clean no matter what I have been working on.

I have an awl that I use for marking drill hole locations for every sign. In the past I have stabbed myself hundreds of times sticking the awl in one of the cloth apron pockets, the awl won't penetrate the horse leather

CW made my apron to fit my specifications, I got the pockets and sizes I wanted in the exact place I wanted, this is a nice feature because I'm left handed. The tools I use most frequently are on the right side so the pockets were placed based on my personal preference and the tools I use for sign installation. I even got a large pocket on the lower left side that fits my mini-drill driver.

I think I have had mine for two years, it looks as good today as the day I received it. Hands down this is the best apron you could possibly buy and the last one as well.

I don't care what color it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ken gibbs View Post
    Why do you care what color that apron is?

I really like my Duluth shop apron. Has lots of pockets and has the criss-cross shoulder strap and is very comfortable to wear. The downside is the pockets do fill up with sawdust. It also isn't quit long enough to cover the tops of my thighs. I really do like it though and wouldn't enter the shop without it.

I have a couple of those, too. I like them because of the shoulder straps, and because they're fairly cheap.

I also dislike them for the reasons you mentioned.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    I really like my Duluth shop apron. Has lots of pockets and has the criss-cross shoulder strap and is very comfortable to wear. The downside is the pockets do fill up with sawdust. It also isn't quit long enough to cover the tops of my thighs. I really do like it though and wouldn't enter the shop without it.