Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just goofin' around again

A quick search I found these. I haven't read them so I don't know if they apply or not....

United States Patent 6,858,815
    Costin February 22, 2005
    Denim designs from laser scribing

and then this one....

United States Patent 6,777,643
    Bowker , et al. August 17, 2004
    Apparatus and method for laser etching wear patterns into denim pants

....and this one....

United States Patent 6,753,501
    Costin, Sr. , et al. June 22, 2004
    Processing of textile materials using laser beams and material sized in larger widths

...This one looks interesting
    US 6,685,868 in that it describes a way to 'transfer' images to denim without carbonization, burn thru etc. using a laser.

There appears to be a 'lot' of patents concerning lasers and fabrics....
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.

Dee,
    Really Cool! Thank you for sharing.

G
    Epilog Helix 24 - 60 Watt,
    Electrox 20 Watt,
    CorelDraw x6,

Thanks for sharing Dee. You always have inspiring ideas.
    Epilog Mini 24 50w

Very nice Dee, you are amazing!

an awesome idea!!
    Epilog Mini 24, 45 watts, Windows 7 64bit Premium w/i7 chip and 16 gig of ram, Corel X4, PSP X2, Photograv 3, Box-It Suite and Jump Start Vol 2. Wacom tablet, and lotsa lotsa tools..

I recall hearing that the patent regarding laser marking of denim was owned by one of the principals of TroTec and that his intention was to not restrict it's use, thus promoting laser use and sales.

I know, no real facts in my statement but if I don't see the actual documents or hear it from the horse's mouth, I try not to quote it as fact.

Denim is fun to engrave. I did a couple of patches and a little purse for my granddaughter.
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

Some other tips when experimenting with denim:

Keep your dpi in the lower range around 200. The higher the dpi, the higher the chance of the denim shredding when it is put in the washing machine and dryer.

Wash new denim several times before lasering. If you wash it after engraving, the dye released in the wash will darken your engraving.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."