Thread: Finished Subpanel Install

Finished Subpanel Install

Well guys, thanks to all of your help, I finished my sub panel install yesterday. I hooked up 6 circuits on a 100 amp panel. I created separate circuits for the following:
    • Dedicated 20 amp 240v Circuit for My TS
    • Dedicated 20 amp 120v Circuit for DC
    • Dedicated 20 amp 120v Circuit for Jointer and Planer
    • Dedicated 20 amp 120v Circuit for Air Compressor
    • Dedicated 20 amp 120v Circuit for Router/Deep Freezer/Heater
    • Dedicated 20 amp 120v Circuit for Workbench Powerstrip
    If you recall I had only one empty slot. What I did was remove the 20amp breaker closest to the empty slot which used to be for the 3 garage plugs and put a 100Amp breaker in its place to feed my panel. I now have 6 sockets in my garage (one of them being 240) each with a dedicated purpose. My electrician's friend that was supposed to help me, his mom died so he obviously couldn't come. I went to the bookstore and read through some wiring books, and did it myself. I had it inspected at noon today and passed.

I ran 4 sockets along the left wall with THHN in conduit. I ran the conduit through the back wall and to the crawl space where I ran the conduit into a junction box and changed to Romex where I ran the romex across the crawl space and into the wall to the new panel. I removed one socket that was on teh wall where the 4 new sockets are, and reused the other two sockets and put them on dedicated breakers in the new panel.

The inspector actually told me that as of 2005, due to the short length of my run I could have run Romex in conduit, but it was better safe than sorry.

Thanks to everyone for your guidance.
    Last edited by Bob Haskett; 02-10-2010 at 2:11 PM.

Bob,

Congratulations on passing your inspection, to me there has always been a great deal of satisfaction in doing something like that. Getting permits and inspections have always seemed like the worse parts to me. I just got my electrical permit a few days ago and Im currently installing a 60 amp sub panel in my garage, er um workshop - studio. Hopefully Ill do as well as you did.

GT
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

Good job on the upgrade. As a building codes inspector, let me say that you did the right thing getting it inspected...Of course I'm biased but I do believe that. Passing that inspection after doing all your research is definitely rewarding. Good to hear that you're advocating for yourself by doing your own work and then having it checked by a professional to make sure everything is safe. So many people circumvent the permit/inspection on such projects and many of us see the fires caused by well-intentioned people that assumed that they or their handyman knows what they're doing. Heck, a lot of master electricians and their employees regularly make really dangerous screw-ups without even realizing it. A lot of folks assume there's an adversarial relationship with the building inspector, but that is usually far from the case. Most of us are more than happy to help people get their work done in a safe manner and that's because we don't get any enjoyment in disapproving a job!

Bob, Congrats on a job well done. I did all my own electrical work and had it looked at by a electrician friend and its satifying when you do a good job.

On top of that you don't have to wait for an electrican to come so you can get what you want done on your schedule and not someone elses.