Thread: O.T.: My well water has rather recently started smelling very sulphuric.

O.T.: My well water has rather recently started smelling very sulphuric.

Can anyone shed light on how to cure this? The cold water especially smells bad. This started a few months ago,and the well is more than 5 years old. I don't know how old it is.

Hi George,

Try this link .. http://www.water-doctor.com/WD_wellwater.html#odor

They recommend aeration.

Regards
    Ray

My wife and I live in the middle of a corn field in Illinois. Our well is over 10 years old, and we had the same problem of the "egg smell" as she calls it. Evidently it was caused by a form of bacteria, i can't remember if they eat iron or what. The other possible cause for it is high sulfur in the sediments under your water table. We ended up "shocking" our well with a few gallons of bleach and the smell is gone. i think we did it this way http://wellwater.oregonstate.edu/shock

Call your local health department and ask, as sulphur is common to some areas.

But as there are also less benign causes, find out where they test community water supplies for fecal coliforms, obtain a sterile bottle and set of instructions, and take in a sample to either their collection point or directly to the lab. Wash your hands and the sample faucet in chlorine bleach and let them air dry immediately before taking the sample, then let the water run for a few minutes before collecting.

http://www.mrwa.com/watersmellrotteneggs.htm

We own and run a hundred-hookup system as part of one of our timberland conversions.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 02-10-2010 at 9:08 AM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

I'll second what Bob said. I work for the state health/environmental agency and we have a group tasked with water supply well issues. Virginia may have a well inspector that can take a look at your well to make sure its working like its supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Can anyone shed light on how to cure this? The cold water especially smells bad. This started a few months ago,and the well is more than 5 years old. I don't know how old it is.
    This doesn't address your cold water sulphur smell, but hot water sulphur smell can be caused by something called an anode rod in a water heater. I believe it is a sacrificial rod of metal designed to prevent corrosion of the tank itself. This applies to any water source. The rods can be removed easily. Google "anode rods" for more info.

Both hot and cold smell the same.

The water is also distinctly blue when seen in a new white 5 gallon paint bucket. When the power threatens to go out,like now,I fill the pail so we can at least flush the toilet a few times.

In our area volcanic action covered an ancient forest eons ago. Some wells are affected by this, having hydrogen sulfide gas trapped in the water that when de-pressurized from a faucet, especially in the confines of a small shower enhance the experience with a rotten egg aroma. It is not toxic, but not too enjoyable either.

One neighbor with this problem built a system to release the hydrogen sulfide outdoors. He has a small building enclosing a large tub. Water is sprayed into the air then collects in the tub where another pump pressurizes it for household use. The building is screened on two sides with a large fan maintaining sufficient air flow to blow away and disperse the sulfide. The system is quite simple and has been working for at least 20 years through a couple of owners.

Perhaps something of that sort might help your situation and if it does I'm happy for you. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    This doesn't address your cold water sulphur smell, but hot water sulphur smell can be caused by something called an anode rod in a water heater. I believe it is a sacrificial rod of metal designed to prevent corrosion of the tank itself. This applies to any water source. The rods can be removed easily. Google "anode rods" for more info.
    What a timely post!!!! Our hot water has smelled like sulphur/rotten eggs since Thanksgiving. I had shocked the well 3 or 4 months prior and all was just fine until then. After reading the various posts, I went to my water heater and checked it out. I immediately called "My plumber" and told him of the situation. He said that he always pulls the anode rod when a water softener is in place. I informed him that upon inspection, the anode rod was still covered with eurathane foam.........Oops! He was here in approx ˝ hour and my anode rod is now history. It was covered with black slime. Upside to this situation, my water quality should improve and better yet - NO CHARGE!

Thank all of you for the help. I was lucky to get a trusted well guy out here today. He's worked for a friend for years.

The sulfur smell is common here,and nothing looks dangerous to him. he will put in some kind of tank that bleeds off the smell.

I have the sulfur smell from the water and had an air induction filter installed. Basically, is pulls in air to oxidize the sulfer and then it is filtered out. The system back washes itself every night and has required no maintence in the years that I have had it. The other advantage of such a system is that it also oxidizes the iron and removes it. The water then goes to the softener. By removing the iron before the softener, I have been able to use regular salt pellets instead of the ones with the iron out in them. This has saved me a lot of money over time.

Good Luck and hope the water quality improves.

I'm not sure what all the well guy explained about the tank he's going to put in. it just gets rid of the sulfur gas. My upstairs faucets and shower never had the smell. He said the gas came out through the first faucets it came to downstairs. Yet,upstairs in my 2 story shop where there is a sink,the smell began there!! It smelled in the downstairs shop sink too.I must admit,I have little idea how all this works!