Thread: Significant increase in runout on my Jet 16-42 2hp.

Significant increase in runout on my Jet 16-42 2hp.

Over the last few months, I have noticed a significant increase in runout in my Jet 16-42-2. I first noticed it turning pens and thought that my mandrel may be bent. I checked the mandrel and there is no obvious bend.

Last week I just finished turning a spindle for a tilt top table and could not seem to get it to run true.

Last night I held a piece of wood against the side of the headstock spindle and could hear obvious pulsing.

Has anyone else run across this problem and how do I fix it?

Pushing on the spindle doesn't cause obvious sideplay but it is just not running true anymore. The lathe is 3 years old.
    Age and Treachery will always beat youth and skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Norfleet View Post
    Over the last few months, I have noticed a significant increase in runout in my Jet 16-42-2. I first noticed it turning pens and thought that my mandrel may be bent. I checked the mandrel and there is no obvious bend.

Last week I just finished turning a spindle for a tilt top table and could not seem to get it to run true.

Last night I held a piece of wood against the side of the headstock spindle and could hear obvious pulsing.

Has anyone else run across this problem and how do I fix it?

Pushing on the spindle doesn't cause obvious sideplay but it is just not running true anymore. The lathe is 3 years old.
    Jack, Do the centers line up on the head and tail stocks? If they do it may be a worn bearing, put in the spur center and the live center and check for center and then go from there. Sometimes the tailstock may be able to move side to side or wobble it there is buildup under the machined surfaces of the tailstock. If it is clean and flat (no burrs or dents) then make sure the tapers are clean and the centers are seating true in the Morse tapers.

Good luck,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Jeff,

The centers do line up when the machine is off. I suspect a bearing. Luckily I was searching for bearings on the Jet site and realized that Jet has a 5 year warranty. I will call them tomorrow.

I was hoping someone who had changed bearings on a lathe could help walk me through the process.

Jack
    Age and Treachery will always beat youth and skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Norfleet View Post
    I was hoping someone who had changed bearings on a lathe could help walk me through the process.
    Jack,

I have done it, well I helped while the tech was here, and before that I got the instructions from Jet directly. They could probably help you as well if it is under warranty. But it really wasn't very hard. I can send you the directions if you need. But as mine was under warranty they sent a tech to do it all.

Joshua