Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dovetail jigs?

dovetail jigs?

I am looking for some feedback on dovetail jigs that you would like to pass on? pros and cons.... easy of use, setup, cost?

etc
    Patrick

I have two. One is a leigh jig, the other is an Incra system.

The Incra is a great system but for me it is like remembering how to play craps. I'm good at it when I'm doing it but two days later I have to totally re-learn how to play. Just too much setup and detail and that sucks the fun out of it. The Incra makes an awesome router table fence though.

The Leigh jig is awesome. Mine is a small 12" version. Nothing too complicated. I made perfect dovetails with it the first time I tried and have used it a number of times since with great success. Pin spacing is adjustable, which is nice when you're wanting odd spacing for a cool look. I highly recommend the Leigh.

Blog Entries
    I have the Rockler jig. It's not a bad jig, but it has a learning curve. The #1 problem with it is making the adjustments to center the pins and tails on the width of your drawer pieces. You have to disassemble the jig to get to the screws. If the designer had looked ahead, the screw locations could have been made more convenient. For the price it isn't a bad jig.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I bought a Leigh D4 a bunch of years ago and did a couple of projects with it.

Then I viewed a DVD of a woodworker who whipped them out so fast and elegant with just a back saw, chisel and mallet that I began to feel embarrassed and inadequate just thinking about all the stuff I needed to make a dovetail joint vs what he worked with -- you know, a head game!

So I gave his method a try and haven't used the Leigh since! That is not to say the Leigh is deficient in any way or even especially cumbersome to use. It really does a great job.

So my recommendation would be to learn how to do them the easy way with hand tools. However if you have a large bunch to do, then the machine method makes sense.

Another thing you should be aware of is a machine can't really make true half-blind dovetails (I may get some difference of opinion on this - but that's OK) because they are truncated (or rounded off) at the back. You can avoid this -- just use through dovetails, then glue up a separate drawer front.

I have the Leigh D4, and it without a doubt is the best jig on the market. It is easy, fast, and very versatile. It will do every dove tail patten possible including through, half blind, and I get a kick out of using their isoloc system which makes dove tail patterns like clover, bears ears, waves etc. I understand the purist who uses a saw and chisel, but that person would have a dickens of a time doing the isoloc patterns.

Seriously, the Leigh is the best of the jigs out there, but it is pricey.

I have the older Omnijig and Incra fence setup. I use the Omnijig and it works awesome for me.

I want to try handcut and bandsaw dovetails.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I got this jig for Christmas (24") and the C-kit. Havent tried it out yet. Looks pretty heavy duty and easy to setup and use. Might want to check it out.

http://www.akeda.com/

The best jig is the one the poster owns.....I like the Akeda because it is extremely easy to set up and use. I also have the Leigh D4R and the Omnijig. But use the Akedas all the time, the others are collecting dust instead of making it.

In fact I have two Akeda's set up, one for pins and one for tails, and they fit together perfectly. Also the Akeda does not require a big investment in templates, which can really drive the price of the jig up big time.

Some of the templates that other jigs offer are of no use to me as most of the furniture I build is period furniture and waves and ears just would not look right on them.

I think you need to determine what you are going to be building with the jigs before running off and buying one only to find out it does not fit your needs.

+1 Akeda.

Easy(even a caveman can do it). Perfect DT's every time. Versatile. Built like a tank. No dust or chips on the floor or in the air with vac. On stock <12" you can cut pins on one end and tails on the other with the 24" version and two routers. You can call Akeda and the inventor answers the phone. Blah! Blah! Blah! I could go on.

You can put it away for two months, take it out and be cutting perfect DT's in twenty minutes.

Previously owned PC DT jig.

Anyone that does them by hand has my admiration.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Melchior View Post
    I am looking for some feedback on dovetail jigs that you would like to pass on? pros and cons.... easy of use, setup, cost?

etc
    I have a porter cable I will sell you for $40.
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

Damn, the Akeda jig sure does look nice. But I guess for $500 it ought to. I'll have to chalk that one up on my need list. Still like the peacefulness of cutting them by hand but it sure would be nice to bang out a chest of drawers in a hurry while being able to customize my layout of the tails and pins. If you had the money I would get the Akeda, and this is without owning the thing. It just looks like the cats' a$$.

I have the Porter-Cable 4212.

I like it just fine, but ... for whatever reason ... I get the sense that the Leigh is viewed as a better product.

I have no info on the akeda... I have the Leigh D4R... LOVE IT!!! I just put some pieces up that I used it on under my post for beer handles in the TURNERS forum... I made variably spaced DT's on two pieces with the jig in about 20 mins.It has a vary small learning curve.good luck in your decisionJohn G

I too owned a Leigh jig (just sold it) and still own an Omijig. I felt Th Omijig was easier to use than the Leigh. Hoping the Akeda I got for Christmas is much easier than either of them

I chose the Omni jig for two reasons:

1)A dedicated D-handle router is well supported and can stay sitting on the jig. (Unlike the Leigh)

2)Super Quick cam locks (Unlike Akeda)

I just use it for simple drawer dovetails, where speed and nice fit is all I care about.

If I cared about more unusual or creative dovetails, I'd definitely choose something else.

-Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images