Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pot Pourri Bowls

Pot Pourri Bowls

In the process of cleaning and sorting some of my woodturning mess I came across a bunch of pot pourri lids I forgot I had. So I've been making some bowls for them. The first is apricot with walnut, then ash with walnut, walnut and maple, a plain osage orange, and all of them together. They're all about 5.5" x 2.5" finished with danish oil and buffed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like them all. They look good with the collars. I have a couple that that may be what I need to save them. Thanks for showing.
    Dennis

Really nice Curt. The collar really sets the three off.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice work Curt! Sure like the different woods - something for everyone!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Very pretty. I vote for the apricot!

Curt, this was perfect timing!! I had just said to my wife that I would like to get some of those lids and make up some pot pourri dishes for our girls for Christmas. Great job on these, and I really like some of the little details. Hope you don't mind if I steal a few ideas!

Question, did you laminate the collar on prior to turning, or turn it and set it in the bowl recess? It looks like you could have done these by lamination - obviously, the edge would reflect that though.

Very Nice

When I see a picture of a turning that I like and think I might want to make one someday, I save the picture to my "Future Projects" file. All four of these were saved. Like John, I too was thinking about ording some of these lids. Very nice job.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post

Question, did you laminate the collar on prior to turning, or turn it and set it in the bowl recess? It looks like you could have done these by lamination - obviously, the edge would reflect that though.
    John, I turn the bowl first with an opening that's about 3/8" wider than the lid. (btw, none of these lids are ever quite the same diameter or perfectly round) Then to make the collar I resaw a piece of wood about 3/8" to 1/2" thick, cut it somewhat round to about 1/2" larger diameter than the opening of the bowl, and drill a 3/8" hole in the center of it. I then thread it onto the big screw chuck that comes with most scroll chucks and turn it so it has a small tenon that fits snug into opening of the bowl and the remaining part of the circle overhangs the edge of the opening by about 1/4". I glue it into the bowl and then cut the opening and the lip for the lid to sit on and touch up the underside so it mates up with the bowl. Hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    Hope that makes sense.
    Perfectly!! Thanks!

Pot Pourri

Good Morning, where did you find the lids? I Googled and found Packard Woodworks,is there other sources or did you use this one? Beautiful I might add. Trying to grasp what you wrote in response to John.

Very pretty and great ideas for gifts. I shall also file these!

Craft Supplies USA also has them

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Rose View Post
    Good Morning, where did you find the lids? I Googled and found Packard Woodworks,is there other sources or did you use this one? Beautiful I might add. Trying to grasp what you wrote in response to John.
    http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...otpourri?Args=

Nice work. The first one has a simple but elegant look. I'll be ordering some of those. It will give me an excuse to buy a hollowing tool.

Very Nice!

Curt - These are all very nice, but I really like the first one. The lid on that one seems to be different. Do you know where you got that lid? Thanks.

Steve

Another style of lid.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mellott View Post
    ...[B]ut I really like the first one. The lid on that one seems to be different. Do you know where you got that lid? ...
    Steve,

The first lid appears to be one of Craft Supplies USA's "cloisonne" lids. CSUSA has two different styles of potpourri lids, pewter lids (in 8 different designs) and cloisonne lids (in 4 different designs). The cloisonne lids appear to be available in solid and "vented" styles. The first of Curt's bowls appears to use CSUSA's "Orchid" design in the cloisonne line. To see the different designs, you need to look at their catalog (pages 90-91 of the current catalog). Here's a link to the cloisonne version of the lids: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...loisonne?Args=

Note: I've no interest in CSUSA. I'm just a happy customer that's spent a lot of time perusing their catalog.