Thread: Simple boxes of canarywood and bloodwood

Simple boxes of canarywood and bloodwood

I made these keepsake boxes out of scraps for my wife. 27a is for Valentine's Day and 27b is for her birthday. The panels are bookmatched canarywood standing 1/32" pround from the bloodwood frame. The finish is General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish, which preserves the canarywood colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very pretty. Have never heard of canary wood let alone seen it. Nicely done.

They look great John. You did a fantastic job of arriving at the final color of the main body and the darker borders as they are nothing short if eye pleasing together.

Well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Well done!! Nice color as Sarge noted, and some really nice work on the joinery/mitered corners!

very clean look. Did you use stub & tennon joinery to attach the bloodwood? The bookmatching really sets it off.

Really beautiful! The bloodwood and canarywood really go together nicely.

Great work and fantastic choice on the wood combination.
    Canary wood can be such a beautiful species. I have a large board in my stock pile (96"x10") and plan to male either a hall table or bench with it. I have seen (on another forum) canarywood combined with purpleheart, and it was nice but wasn't quite right. I have been thinking of using something like bloodwood instead, and you may have just made that decision easier for me!
    Great work.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

I really like the design and the book matching is great! But are you afraid the canary wood panel will bust the miters if they expand?

It looks like the panels have just a wee bit of wiggle room. Well dryed and well finished wood won't expand too much anyway.
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Joinery

Thanks to all for your generous comments!

I sawed a 3/32" slot in the bloodwood frame pieces and rabbeted a 1/16" tab on all four sides of the canarywood panels. The panels have 1/16" available expansion. My experience with lots of antique furniture is that damage from shrinkage is more common than expansion. Once assembled, the frame-panel units are attached to each other with simple glued miter joints.

Blog Entries
    Great looking box John. Nice finish on the canary wood; sometimes it comes out too YELLOW! Yours is warm and inviting.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Sometimes less is more. Wonderful execution and choice of materials. Bravo!
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Kudos for a job well done!

Canarywood is probably my favorite type of lumber.

I built something similar a few years ago and used Peruvian Walnut for the dark trim pieces.

Sweet looking ! I love it.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson