Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dewalt 735 planer dust collection W/O dust collector

Dewalt 735 planer dust collection W/O dust collector

For those of you without dust collectors, what are you using for chip/dust collection when using this planer?

Not a good idea to use any planer without a DC of some sort. There is a hose/hood available for the 735 since it has a really good chip fan. It has mixed reviews. The manual does say that a vacuum cleaner is not reccomended since the chip fan is pretty strong. Another alternative is to drag it outside and use it for a mulch spreader.

I have used a shop vacuum with mine. The internal fan outruns the shop vacuum motor though.

I have used a shopvac with mine (had to make a hose coupler out of 100mph tape) it worked ok. But most of the time I just get out the broom when I'm done.

Dust collector is next on my list. As soon as Uncle Sam gives some of my money back, I'm headed to Harbor Freight to get the one with the coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kehl View Post
    I have used a shopvac with mine (had to make a hose coupler out of 100mph tape) it worked ok. But most of the time I just get out the broom when I'm done.

Dust collector is next on my list. As soon as Uncle Sam gives some of my money back, I'm headed to Harbor Freight to get the one with the coupon.
    Get yourself a bucket separator also. That planer will fill the DC in no time.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

In this review http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/dw735rvu.html, he hooks it up to a dust collector, but does not turn on the dust collector. The internal fan of the planer inflates the dust collector!

I use it with self made bucket separator without DC.
    I've got that metal garbage can and in the lid I've made one 4" hole in the center and one off center. In one that is offcenter I've squeesed in 90 degree elbow and with flex duct connected to the planer. The middle hole is just open. Some fine dust escapes but 99% of things stays inside.

This actually worked decently for me: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-B.../dp/B00004R9TJ

The hose fits the outlet on the 735. I only used it for a day or so until my DC was hooked up but it may work in the long term?

Scott, dewalt actually makes a trash can lid adaptor as an acessory for the dw735, not sure if they are still available but I have seen them for sale in the past, no dc unit really needed with the planer as it has a very powerful fan.

I know a couple of guys that just ran a 4" hose from the planer and into a trash can, thats it. One had a cover with a 4" hole for the hose in it and couple of small holes for ventilation. Not the best thing for the fine dust, but it keeps the shop floor clean.

I'm planning a Thein separator for use with mine. Woodcraft has a 25% sale on DC fittings and hose at the moment. This combo is said to work well.

I use a 16 gallon Craftsman vac located in a shed on the side of the garage/workshop that connects to a 20 gallon can with a Thien separator and then a hose to a 4"-to-2.5" reducer attached to the planer. It works great.
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

I used mine for a while with the DeWalt garbage can bag adapter, and its pretty effective. Just make sure the draw string is tight around the can's mouth or you get quite a shower of shavings. DAMHIK. I don't remember the cost, but I remember thinking it was worth it for job sites or shop use before the planer lived near the DC.

Before I got a DC I used a shopvac and it worked pretty well. Had t o remember to turn the vac on before the planer or it would blow the hose off. Don't take long to fill up the vac.
    Fred

I use a 16 gallon Craftsman shop vac with a CleanStream filter; works just fine for occasional use. I haven't found much of a difference with the vacuum on or off, works about the same.

If I remember correctly, I had trouble finding a coupler to connect the vac hose -- ended up using a dusting brush vac attachment with the bristle ring removed. It fits snug (with a hose clamp) and the 45-degree angle gets the hose out of the way of the outfeed table.

I don't have it, but the DeWalt chip collection accessory is 50 bucks at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7353-...5947005&sr=8-4
    Last edited by Shawn Christ; 02-11-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: added link